J Paul Sykes
Paul advises and represents commercial and individual clients in business, partnership, insurance and property disputes, civil & commercial litigation, professional negligence and disciplinary proceedings, shareholder actions, contentious trusts/probate/inheritance, farming disputes, and construction and engineering claims.
As a litigation and dispute resolution lawyer, Paul has pursued claims successfully through to the Court of Appeal, House of Lords, and European Court of Human Rights. Paul strongly supports Alternative Dispute Resolution wherever possible and adopts a pragmatic, client focussed approach throughout.
Paul has wide experience in acting for both claimants and defendants/insurers, and for private individuals and businesses.
Some of Paul's recent successes include:
- Defeating complex £7.5M negligence claim against solicitors, involving long history of development land and planning disputes, Judicial Review and complaints on conduct of High Court litigation and Appeals. 350 Lever arch files and 3 Mgb of data. Achieving vindication for client and orders for costs against claimant
- Obtaining a stay of proceedings and costs orders on behalf of client in a £23M claim
- Litigating seizure of an aircraft in the EEC
- Recovering £1M+ against solicitors for negligence in an internet business purchase
- Winning at trial for solicitors' professional indemnity insurers on a £1.5 million claim for breach of an undertaking relating to bogus gold delivery certificates
Paul has been ranked highly in the Legal 500 over a number of years as a notable practitioner in litigated professional negligence/insurance disputes.
- 1984 Qualified as a Solicitor
- 1988 Head of Litigation & Dispute Resolution, Levi Solicitors LLP, Leeds
- 2009 LLM Masters Degree in Advanced Legal Practice (Company and Commercial Practice and Procedure), Distinction awarded: De Montfort University
- 2010 Publication: "The Continuing Paradox: A Critique of Minority Shareholder and Derivative Claims Under the Companies Act 2006" CJQ v 29, issue 2, 2010 p203-232
- 2011 Qualified "CTAPS" Contentious Trust & Probate Specialist
- 2012 Head of Litigation at BHP Law (York, Halifax, Darlington, Durham, Stockton, Newcastle)
- 2013 Director at Lupton Fawcett, York
What Others Say
Paul is a fine lawyer. He does not get flustered & his experienced and balanced view creates trust as well as managing realistic expectations. I would have no hesitation in endorsing J Paul Sykes as a superb lawyer who will battle in your interests, as he did for me. - Michael Cotler, Director, Specsavers
Paul represented my husband after a severe accident, his steadfast determination and hard work brought the case to a satisfactory conclusion and I would not hesitate in recommending him. - Angela Wallis, Company Director, BAF Printers (1962) Limited
Paul is a solid respected litigator. A very safe pair of hands. Approachable and friendly. Team player. - Stephen Pritchett, Specialist Commercial and Property Counsel, Cobden House
Paul Sykes "puts in a tremendous amount of work" successfully defended Glassbrooks in a £7.5m professional negligence claim - Legal 500 2015
- "ACTAPS", the Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists
- Law Society Personal Injury Panel from inception
- Professional Negligence Lawyers Association
When not at work
Paul is married with two grown up children.