Nigel is a Director at Lupton Fawcett and heads the Dispute Management Department.
Nigel advises primarily SMEs and PLCs on all aspects of dispute resolution - including avoiding disputes in the first place - especially contractual conflicts, corporate governance (for example, disputes involving shareholders and/or directors), professional negligence claims, and post-M&A disputes such as warranty claims and disputed earn-outs. He acts for franchisors and franchisees, in non-contentious work and in resolving disputes. He conducts high value product claims for household name retailers and manufacturers, and VAT litigation against HMRC for a number of local authorities, NHS Trusts, police authorities and individuals.
Having originally trained and worked at an international firm in the Midlands, Nigel has been serving clients in Yorkshire and nationally for over two decades. An accredited mediator, Nigel is a robust litigator, but very commercial and a savvy operator. He is known for his excellent communication skills and his ability to help clients focus on and achieve the best outcomes.
- Contract Claims (especially post-M&A)
- Company Disputes (shareholders and/or directors)
- Product-related Claims (especially high risk/high value)
- Franchise Set-up, Transfer, Exit
- Franchise Disputes
- VAT Litigation
- Early stage resolution of disputes
- Robust, tactically astute litigation where appropriate
- Data Regulation
- 1988 Graduated from Birmingham University
- 1991 Qualified as a Solicitor
- 2002 Partner, Lupton Fawcett
- 2011 Head of Dispute Management, Lupton Fawcett
What Others Say
Nigel Broadbent is an "excellent lawyer who adopts a pragmatic approach." - The Legal 500 UK 2013
- Law Society
When not at work
A pilot in earlier years, Nigel's interests now tend to be more grounded - first and foremost, family life at home in Halifax. An active Freemason, Nigel is also a Director of Proper Job Theatre Company and a third kyu karate-do. Nigel also plays guitar and sings (after a fashion) in a string band. He has even been known to write a song or two.