Whether you are a GP Partner or a Practice Manager, running a modern GP Practice is an ever changing and challenging environment. In addition to the potential legal issues that have traditionally been faced such as buildings, leases, employment issues, partnership agreements, there is increasing a new raft of issues relating to how the government funds GP work and the necessary business structures and issues that need to be embraced.
At Lupton Fawcett we have a specialist team that help GP Practices with the legal and business issues they face. Each member of our team is a specialist solicitor in their area of law, as well as having a wealth of experience in helping GP Practices.
The key areas we support GP Practices with, include the following. Please click on an area to read more, or scroll down:
- Employment (staff contracts, redundancies, disciplinary action etc)
- Business issues (partnership agreements, federating practices, commissioning etc)
- Regulatory (CQC, fraud, unlawful killings etc)
- Property (sale / purchase, leases etc)
- Dispute Resolution (partnership disputes, misuse of practice assets etc)
- Banking & Finance (loan agreements, securities etc)
- Tax (VAT, restructuring etc)
- Building developments (building contracts, building warranties etc)
Lupton Fawcett has one of Yorkshire's largest and best-respected employment law teams, providing specialist advice to businesses and organisations from its offices in Leeds, Sheffield and York
We are able to provide a comprehensive range of employment law services, including:
- Employment law for GP Practices
- Contracting and sub-contracting staff
- Bullying, harassment and discrimination
- Disciplinary action
- Unfair dismissal
- Withdrawal of contracts
- False allegations
- Ill-health absence
- Mediations and renegotiations
- Contracts, policies and procedures for nurses, ancillary staff and others
- Complaints, grievances and notice letters
- Suspensions pending enquiries and generally
- MPTS and GMC representation
GP practices need to ensure that they have strong and robust contracts in place in order to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and also in order to minimise the potential for disputes to arise in the future.
We have a wealth of experience when it comes to the preparation and drafting contracts and we will work with you either to undertake a review of your existing contracts or to implement new contracts which deal with all of the key issues including:
- Partnership agreements
- Contacts with suppliers
- Joint ventures
- Company structures/set-up
- Pharmacy related issues
- NHS contract negotiations
- other NHS engagement issues
With offices in Leeds, Sheffield and York, we can offer our contracts services either on a face-to-face basis, by post or email. If you would like legal advice about the GP Practice services that we are able to provide then please contact Giles Clegg without any obligation
Ensuring everyday compliance with the essential standards of quality and safety is an essential part of a GP Practice's daily operation. Lupton Fawcett's Regulatory team are by your side every step of the way
Our Regulatory GP Practice Team provide expert legal advice and representation in any circumstances where the provider requires guidance and assistance. Unlike other law firms that offer general regulatory services, our specialist regulatory team regularly advises the health care sector.
We can advise you on:
- Unlawful killings (accidental killings, homicide, manslaughter)
- Medical malpractice - assault (treatment without consent)
- Indecent assault in clinic or on home visit (allegations of impropriety)
- Health and Safety prosecutions
- Criminal Record Bureau (CRB) challenges
For further help and advice contact Jeremy Scott.
Our GP Practices team of specialist lawyers works with a growing portfolio of clients and has a close affinity with the health sector.
Our main areas of support are:
- Property leases
- Property sale and purchase
- Property sale and leaseback (eg to a medical property investment company)
- Property disputes
- Landlord/tenant issues
With offices in Leeds, Sheffield and York, we can offer our property conveyancing services either on a face-to-face basis, by post or email. If you would like to discuss any property related matter, please contact Julian Rowden.
At Lupton Fawcett, we take a practical, commercial approach to resolving disputes.
Disputes may sometimes arise that cannot be resolved without external assistance.
We can guide you on:
- Practice partnership dispute resolution
- Dilapidation claims
- All fraud related matters including misue of Practice assets:
- the misappropriation of cash
- the writing of fraudulent cheques on the Practice account
- Dishonesty in the Practice
The GP Practices team are experts in advising on all aspects of the finance of GP Practices and related borrowing and security arrangements.
We can assist you with:
- Advising GPs on the negotiation of loan agreements with third party lenders (for equity buy-in/buy-out, practice development, practice refurbishment, equipment, cash flow, capital expenditure and tax)
- Advising GPs on any associated security and guarantees required by a lender
- Advising on any loans from the GPs to the practice itself and on any security assocated with such loans
- Advising on deeds of priority which may be required between a practice, the GPs and their secured lender
The tax system has become ever more complex in recent years, making professional tax advice more important than ever.
We have the expertise to help you with:
- VAT, SDLT and capital allowances in relation to property transactions
- Tax issues in connection with practices changing hands/restrucuring
- Employment tax advice
We recognise that being able to offer the highest level of construction law advice is based on many years of industry specific experience.
Our specialist Construction and Engineering Team acts for a broad range of clients. We can help you with:
- Building contracts for GP surgeries/pharmacies
- Appointing the design team for surgeries/pharmacies
- Providing warranties to GPs/pharmacists for new and existing builds
- Advising specialist medical property developers.
For further help or advice, please contact Niamh Batterton.
Get in touch
For comprehensive, expert advice on any legal or business issues relating to a GP Practice, contact us today. We have three offices in Yorkshire; in Sheffield, Leeds and York, and our solicitors are waiting to hear from you.
- The thorny issues of Stamp Duty Land Tax
- Fraud at GP Practices
- PMS agreements, employees and restructuring
Get in Touch
With Lupton Fawcett on your side, you're taking control. Contact us today.
Please complete this form to make an enquiry and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
Remember you can still call us on 0333 323 5292 or email us at email@example.com.