Transactions involving commercial property can often throw up highly complex issues so it is important to consult tax specialists from the start to avoid unintended tax liabilities.
The Tax team has extensive experience on advising on all matters relating to commercial property tax and will work with you and the Commercial Property team, or can collaborate with your own professional advisers, to understand the issues at stake and to work towards a tax effective solution.
We advise property investors, developers and other businesses (including local authorities, charities and the not-for-profit sector) acting on both the buying and selling side on the relevant tax issues in connection with acquisitions and sale of property interests, including portfolio restructurings and group reorganisations, joint ventures, sale and leasebacks and construction projects and onwards sale.
Our recent experience with the Commercial Property team include:
- advising a council on SDLT issues in connection with £3 million development of city centre which involved complex issues on property exchanges, agreements for lease, substantial performance, market value and construction activities and obtaining clearance from HMRC that SDLT charges nominal.
- direct tax, VAT and SDLT issues in connection with leases, for example, property inducements, lease variations and assignments, surrenders and regrants.
- direct tax, VAT and SDLT issues in connection with purchase of freehold interests (including let freeholds) including option grant and exercises, subsales and novations. In relation to VAT, advising extensively on TOGCs, and replicating TOGCs, disapplication of option to tax, VAT anti-avoidance rules, partial exemption and capital goods scheme issues.
- advising on, drafting and negotiating capital allowances provisions for both sellers and buyers post Finance Act 2012 and2014 changes.
- reducing the normal 4% SDLT bill on the purchase of a £1.5 million mixed use property using a relief available where multiple residential properties are acquired.
For further information, please contact Melanie List, head of Tax at Lupton Fawcett.
Get in Touch
With Lupton Fawcett on your side, you're taking control. Contact us today.
I have known Dan for a number of years and he has been a valuable source of commercial advice across a wide range of issues.
Dirk Mischendahl, Ross and Cashmore Limited; Leeds Ice Cream Company Limited
Having Giles Clegg acting for us at director level, with this wealth of experience, meant that we were constantly several steps ahead of the other advisers.Henry Robinson
Jonathan Oxley is an invaluable sounding board with a can-do attitude.Chambers and Partners
Andrew and his colleagues at Lupton Fawcett were accessible and they provided us with excellent advice throughout the cross-border transaction. We would recommend the services of Andrew and his team to others.
Andrea Pappagallo, Vice President, Federal-Mogul Inc
Andrew's involvement in the negotiations helped us secure a very beneficial outcome for both Empowering Wind MFC Limited and Middlesbrough FC.Paul Millinder, Managing Director, Empowering Wind MFC Limited
Max is an excellent lawyer who knows my businesses inside out and always deal with my requirements promptly, efficiently and I can always rely on him to just 'sort it out' for me.John Hill, Hill Care Group
Martin provided not only spot on and instant legal advice, but he also came with a masterful and passionate negotiation technique - I'm glad he was on our side!
Richard Hunt, CEO, Agility Multichannel Limited
Giles and his team were invaluable to us, showing outstanding attention to detail coupled with a commercial and pragmatic approach where necessary.Peter Watson, Managing Partner, Simpson Millar