Tax issues relating to employment can often be hugely complex. At Lupton Fawcett, we know how important it is to work closely with the Employment team in order to fully understand all the issues at hand to help give you the right advice.
We can also provide stand-alone tax advice to you and are happy to collaborate with your appointed advisers to implement solutions or provide second opinions.
It is also an area which regularly changes, for example, the recent Office of Tax Simplication report on benefits, expenses and remuneration payments and changes to the agency worker rules.
We can assist you on various employment tax issues including:
- taxation of termination payments
- employment related securities
- share buy-backs from departing employees
- tax efficient employee share options and incentives
- applications for tax clearances on relevant terminations
- employment status and associated tax issues
- tax issues relating to non-executive directors
- personal service companies (IR35 legislation)
- agency worker tax legislation
- general employment tax issues
Due to the nature of our practice, the majority of the work we do in this area is highly confidential, but the following gives some examples of our experience:
- advising on the £30,000 exemption in a variety of cases
- advising on clawback of bonus payments (taxation of negative earnings)
- advising on availability of disability exemption for payment on termination
- payments for variation of rights / duties in connection with employment
- looking into possibility of Regulation 72 direction or “Demibourne” direction where employer did not withhold PAYE and NICs
- exempt shareholder status (shares for rights)
- tax treatment of employee loan waivers and write offs
- contributions into pension schemes on termination
- tax and reporting issues on termination (timing, application of the OT code, lump sum, stage payments and ongoing benefits)
Get in Touch
With Lupton Fawcett on your side, you're taking control. Contact us today.
I have known Dan for a number of years and he has been a valuable source of commercial advice across a wide range of issues.
Dirk Mischendahl, Ross and Cashmore Limited; Leeds Ice Cream Company Limited
Having Giles Clegg acting for us at director level, with this wealth of experience, meant that we were constantly several steps ahead of the other advisers.Henry Robinson
Jonathan Oxley is an invaluable sounding board with a can-do attitude.Chambers and Partners
Andrew and his colleagues at Lupton Fawcett were accessible and they provided us with excellent advice throughout the cross-border transaction. We would recommend the services of Andrew and his team to others.
Andrea Pappagallo, Vice President, Federal-Mogul Inc
Andrew's involvement in the negotiations helped us secure a very beneficial outcome for both Empowering Wind MFC Limited and Middlesbrough FC.Paul Millinder, Managing Director, Empowering Wind MFC Limited
Max is an excellent lawyer who knows my businesses inside out and always deal with my requirements promptly, efficiently and I can always rely on him to just 'sort it out' for me.John Hill, Hill Care Group
Martin provided not only spot on and instant legal advice, but he also came with a masterful and passionate negotiation technique - I'm glad he was on our side!
Richard Hunt, CEO, Agility Multichannel Limited
Giles and his team were invaluable to us, showing outstanding attention to detail coupled with a commercial and pragmatic approach where necessary.Peter Watson, Managing Partner, Simpson Millar