There will inevitably be tax consequences that need to be considered for businesses looking to restructure, whether to create or simplify a group structure, planning for a tax efficient exit, or if facing administration or liquidation.
Depending on the type of restructuring involved, we can work closely with our Business Recovery & Insolvency, Corporate, Commercial Property or Private Client teams to ensure that we can assist you through the process. We can also offer stand-alone tax advice or work with your in-house team or appointed advisers.
We have experience of advising and implementing a wide range of reorganisations, advising businesses, companies and their shareholders, such as:
- share buy-backs for exiting shareholders
- demergers and partitions (whether by reduction of capital, S110 demergers, statutory demergers or distributions in specie)
- implementing OpCo and PropCo structures
- creating or simplifying group structures for tax efficient exit or succession
- debt restructuring
- applying for tax clearances in advance of reorganisation or an exit
Our recent experience includes:
- advising on tax issues in connection with company share buy-backs and applying for tax clearances (including trading status of company for Entrepreneurs’ Relief purposes)
- advising on tax issues in relation to structuring demerger of property and trade to be held by different shareholders
- advising on tax issues for reconstruction of group prior to sale of trading division
- advising on tax implications of reconstructions of bank debt including debt waiver and debt capitalisations
Get in Touch
With Lupton Fawcett on your side, you're taking control. Contact us today.
I have known Dan for a number of years and he has been a valuable source of commercial advice across a wide range of issues.
Dirk Mischendahl, Ross and Cashmore Limited; Leeds Ice Cream Company Limited
Having Giles Clegg acting for us at director level, with this wealth of experience, meant that we were constantly several steps ahead of the other advisers.Henry Robinson
Jonathan Oxley is an invaluable sounding board with a can-do attitude.Chambers and Partners
Andrew and his colleagues at Lupton Fawcett were accessible and they provided us with excellent advice throughout the cross-border transaction. We would recommend the services of Andrew and his team to others.
Andrea Pappagallo, Vice President, Federal-Mogul Inc
Andrew's involvement in the negotiations helped us secure a very beneficial outcome for both Empowering Wind MFC Limited and Middlesbrough FC.Paul Millinder, Managing Director, Empowering Wind MFC Limited
Max is an excellent lawyer who knows my businesses inside out and always deal with my requirements promptly, efficiently and I can always rely on him to just 'sort it out' for me.John Hill, Hill Care Group
Martin provided not only spot on and instant legal advice, but he also came with a masterful and passionate negotiation technique - I'm glad he was on our side!
Richard Hunt, CEO, Agility Multichannel Limited
Giles and his team were invaluable to us, showing outstanding attention to detail coupled with a commercial and pragmatic approach where necessary.Peter Watson, Managing Partner, Simpson Millar