Family businesses are complex creatures. People say do not put all your eggs in one basket but that is exactly what your founder did when the business turned the dining room table into a boardroom table and you began making other sacrifices so that your family business is the success it is. Now it is your most precious asset, often representing the majority of your wealth; a legacy for your family.
At Lupton Fawcett, we understand this and can help you whatever your concern is. With offices in Leeds, Sheffield and York, Lupton Fawcett has been advising family businesses and their owners across the generations for over 120 years. 80% of our clients have started off as business families. So whether you are a start-up or a second, third or fourth generation business with a number of shareholders, we have the right adviser to help you.
To speak to a solicitor, get in touch by calling 0333 323 5292 or request a callback by filling in our online form.
How We Can Help
What keeps you awake at night? Do you worry when will be the right time to pass your business to your children or realise its value for your and your family’s benefit? Do the next generation want to take the business over? Do they have the right skills? What are your options if they don’t? And if you are planning to pass the business down, do you worry which of your children should benefit? Will there be a dispute if you leave your interest equally between your children or will there be a dispute if you do not? Are you afraid to start talking to your family about the issue of succession or a sale as you do not know what their reaction will be or whether they will have an agenda of their own?
We can advise you on:
- Succession and other exit options
- Selling your business
- Bringing in new management teams
- Balancing the interests of those working in the business with family members who are not
- Reorganisations and demergers
- Buying out shareholders and consolidating diverse intergenerational shareholdings
- Protecting property and other assets from trading risks
- Family governance and shareholder agreements
- Family Constitutions
- Professionalising the Board and branding the Family Business
- Nurturing Entrepreneurship
- Business wills, trusts and lasting powers of attorney for shareholdings
- Family Investment Companies
- Family Offices
- Business and personal tax planning
- Pre-nuptial agreements and protecting your family business on divorce
- Charitable giving
- Director and trustee duties
- Managing differences
- Family, shareholder and land disputes
- Exit recruitment arrangements for family members
- Farming structures, agricultural land and landed estates
If you have specific questions or an enquiry relating to family businesses, please get in touch.
We have hand-picked a team of family business advisers, drawn from across our specialist practice areas who are exceptionally experienced in advising families and business people like you. The purpose of our cross-departmental team is not to over-lawyer a transaction; rather, we recognise that as you wear many hats (as a director, shareholder, manager and parent or child) you need a team of experts who can work together to provide joined-up advice across all your business, family and personal matters. We put you and your family at the centre and build the right team and advice around you.
Contact Us For Help
Whether you’re involved in a dispute about your family business, or require help passing the company down to the next generation, our team of expert lawyers are ready to help you. To get in touch, simply use the details below.
Get in Touch
With Lupton Fawcett on your side, you're taking control. Contact us today.
Please complete this form to make an enquiry and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
Remember you can still call us on 0333 323 5292 or email us at email@example.com