What to do when someone has died
Register the death
This is usually carried out by a relative attending the local Register Office by appointment.
Check if there is a will
In most cases, the original will is kept by the family's solicitor. A copy may have been kept at home.
The will (or a separate letter kept with it) may contain funeral instructions and related wishes. It will also tell you who the Executors are.
The Executors have authority to deal with the estate from the date of death and, assuming that they intend to take up their role, they can carry out certain duties immediately.
The Executors will not be able to deal with the assets in the estate until they have obtained a Grant of Probate. There are a few exceptions where a Grant is not required such as joint assets or bank accounts with a total balance of less than £25,000.
How we can help in dealing with probate and estates
- From the moment of your first call to us, you will be put through to an experienced adviser who will be caring and sympathetic to your situation and will guide you through the steps that you need to take. You will be given a direct line telephone number so that you will always deal with the same person.
- If Directors of the firm are appointed Executors of a Will then we can also register the death and arrange the funeral on your behalf, should you so wish.
- We appreciate that this can be a difficult and distressing time and it may be the first time you have experienced this situation. It is surprising how much work needs to be done and with our experience, we can guide you through the process effectively.
- We can help with complicated inheritance tax forms and application for a grant of probate
- We can take the burden of communicating with the Department for Work and Pensions and other organisations, dealing with all the various assets and paying the bills
- We can guide you through the process through to the preparation of estate accounts, tax clearance and distribution of assets.
Contact us for help
We provide advice on a wide range of legal issues to clients around Yorkshire from our offices in Leeds, York and Sheffield. For an initial discussion on the specific details of your case contact our solicitors today.
Get in Touch
With Lupton Fawcett on your side, you're taking control. Contact us today.