I own a leasehold house, should I buy my freehold?

The lease of your house will have been granted a certain number of years. The value of your lease will reduce as the number of years left on it decreases.

Once the term of your lease reduces past a certain number of years (in many cases, 75 years or less) it will be harder to find a mortgage company who is willing to lend against the property. This will make re-financing or selling your property increasingly difficult.

Many new Leasehold Houses have been drafted with onerous leasehold terms which many lenders have now refused to accept.  In situations such as this, it may be imperative for you to buy the Freehold in order to be able to sell or remortgage your property.

How do I qualify to buy my Freehold? 

There are three criteria that you must meet in order to qualify for enfranchisement:

  1. You must own a long lease of the property. This will be a lease that was originally granted for a term of 21 years or more, or a lease which was granted with a right to renew.
  1. You must own a qualifying house. This is a property which is reasonably considered to be a house, and which does not lie over or under another property owned by somebody else. It does not matter if the property has been divided into flats, as long as you have the lease of the whole building.
  1. You must be a qualifying tenant. This means that you must be the leaseholder at the time of the application and that you must have owned your leasehold house for a minimum of two years. If a tenant initiates the notice procedure before selling their property, the benefit of this notice can be assigned with the sale of the property. This would allow an incoming tenant to continue with the enfranchisement procedure without having to wait two years to qualify. 

What is the procedure? 

Some freeholders will agree to sell their interest to a tenant without the need for a formal claim, but you should always seek professional advice before proceeding.

If a formal claim is required, the procedure is as follows:

  • The qualifying tenant needs to serve notice in the prescribed form on their landlord, any intermediate landlord and anyone else that the tenant believes has a superior interest in the property.
  • Service of this notice creates a statutory contract between the landlord and the tenant, so the landlord is bound to sell and the tenant is bound to buy. The usual remedies for breach of contract are available to both parties.
  • The landlord can demand payment of a deposit which is three times the annual rent or £25.00, whichever is greater. The landlord can also serve notice on the tenant requiring them to deduce title as evidence of their right to enfranchisement. The tenant has 21 days to comply with these requirements.
  • The landlord must serve a notice in reply in the prescribed form within two months of service of the tenant’s notice. If the landlord does not admit the tenant’s claim, his reply must state the grounds on which it is rejected. The tenant must then decide whether to dispute this through the courts.
  • If the tenant’s claim is admitted then the subsequent procedure is governed by The Leasehold Reform (Enfranchisement and Extension) Regulations 1967.
  • If the purchase price of the freehold or terms of the conveyance cannot be agreed by the parties, either party can apply to the Firsttier Tribunal Property Chamber for the matter to be determined.
  • Once the price of the freehold is agreed, either the landlord or the tenant may give the other party notice in writing and the completion will take place on the first working day 4 weeks from service of the notice.

How much will it cost me? 

It is advised that you obtain a professional valuation of the freehold prior to serving your notice of claim on the landlord, as the valuation mechanism set out in the relevant legislation can be complicated.

Valuation is not an exact science, and the cost of purchasing the freehold will vary depending on a number of factors including:

  • The freehold value of the property;
  • The number of years remaining on the lease;
  • The level of ground rents being paid now and due to be paid in the future.

You will also be expected to pay the following:

  • Your solicitor’s legal fees;
  • Your surveyor’s costs for valuing the freehold premium;
  • Your freeholder’s reasonable costs, which will include their professional fees incurred in valuing the freehold premium, processing the tenant’s notice and serving the notice in reply.

Can I change my mind once notice has been served? 

A tenant has one month from the date on which the purchase price of the freehold is determined to change their mind about proceeding with leasehold enfranchisement. If the tenant decides to withdraw from the procedure at this stage, they will still be responsible for paying the landlord’s reasonable costs.

Residential Property & Conveyancing Services

Lupton Fawcett is a highly regarded personal and commercial law firm in Yorkshire with well-established teams of Residential Property Solicitors at each of our offices.

So, if you are looking to move in and around the West Yorkshire area, call and speak to one of our knowledgeable Leeds Conveyancing Solicitors. Their intimate understanding of the local residential property market will help minimise the stress of buying your next home.

For those looking a little further south, we have a team of expert Residential Property Solicitors in Sheffield, covering the South Yorkshire region and a similarly well-informed team of Conveyancing Solicitors in York, who will use their comprehensive understanding of the North Yorkshire residential property market to ensure the process of finding your perfect home is as painless as possible.

Our Residential Property Solicitors act regularly for clients across Yorkshire including Bradford, Chesterfield, Halifax, Harrogate, Huddersfield, Rotherham, Wakefield.

As a recognised full-service law firm, we can support your needs wherever you live in England, Wales & Northern Ireland.

Call today or complete the enquiry form and we will get back in touch with you quickly. We will always respond promptly, and we will be happy to help.

Please note this information is provided by way of example and may not be complete and is certainly not intended to constitute legal advice. You should take bespoke advice for your circumstances.

Get In Touch Today!

Get In Touch Today!

Please complete this form to make an enquiry and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Remember you can still call us on 0333 323 5292 or email us at law@luptonfawcett.law

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.