Julian is a highly experienced solicitor and tax adviser and has previously worked at international legal and accountancy firms in Leeds and London.
He provides stand alone tax advice and also works closely with his corporate, commercial and property colleagues to provide a seamless service of legal and tax advice. Julian advises on the buying and selling of businesses, management buy-outs, group reorganisations, demergers and liquidations, EIS and private equity, share incentives, VAT on construction and property transactions, and all stamp taxes.
When not at work
Julian likes running, swimming, cycling and sailing. He enjoys cooking for friends and eating out, forest walks with his two hounds, live music of all kinds, and playing the piano.
- tax aspects of buying and selling businesses and companies
- tax efficient exits for sellers
- management buy-outs
- private equity investments
- group reorganisations
- statutory demergers, liquidation demergers, and capital reduction demergers
- overseas businesses establishing a business in the UK
- EMI, CSOP, LTIPs and unapproved share incentives
- employee benefit trusts and offshore trusts
- VAT aspects of domestic and international transactions
- tax efficient structuring of a share buy back
- SDLT, VAT and capital allowances on property transactions
- SEIS and EIS investments, including EIS funds
- foreign domiciliaries
- private equity firms on turnaround investments
- disputes with HM Revenue & Revenue
- mitigating the aggregates levy