Unfair Pay amd Being Paid Below the Minimum Wage Claims

It is a legal requirement for your employer to pay you the correct wages. At Lupton Fawcett, we understand how difficult it can be to talk about pay issues with your employers. Therefore, we offer advice and guidance to make the process simple and easy.

Our employment team specialise in employment law for employees and are able to cover many aspects involving wages including:

  • failure to pay;
  • holiday pay discrepancies;
  • statutory sick pay discrepancies;
  • issues involving maternity and paternity pay;
  • failure to pay National Minimum Wage.
  • How we can help

If you have concerns about your pay because, for example, you haven’t been given the right amount of overtime, are not being paid National Minimum Wage or you have questions about maternity or paternity allowance, you should feel comfortable enough to discuss matters with your manager. If this isn’t the case, or you have spoken to your employer and they have refused to pay you correctly, our solicitors can explain the options available and help you make a claim for that which you are entitled.

Contact Lupton Fawcett today

To discuss your case with an expert lawyer, get in touch with one of our Yorkshire-based offices in Leeds, York and Sheffield using the details on the enquiry form for an initial discussion.

Why Choose Lupton Fawcett?

Having advised and supported many local families, individuals and businesses, we are proud to offer clients a dedicated service from specialist solicitors who are experts in their field:

We're Award Winning

Multi-award winning - Yorkshire Team of the Year, Regional Employment Team of the Year, Employment Law Lawyer of the Year

We're Connected

We're connected to the people, businesses and infrastructure throughout Yorkshire

We Put You First

You can be sure to expect superb client service from us. Our clients are our priority

We're Your Law Firm

Your problems are real but how we approach them makes all the difference

Frequently Asked Questions

Why is the National Minimum Wage important?

Implementation and enforcement of the National Minimum Wage is a central feature of the Government’s employment policies.  The message is clear: minimum pay rates will continue to increase above inflation in the coming years and those employers who fail to pay them will be penalised.

What are the basic NMW rates?

Workers who are working in the UK and who are over compulsory school age are entitled to be paid the NMW.  The current hourly rates are as follows from 4th April 2021:

  • National Living Wage – £8.91 per hour, payable to workers aged 23 and over.
  • National Minimum Wage – £8.36 per hour, payable to workers aged 21 and over.
  • Development Rate – £6.56 per hour, payable to workers aged between 18 and 20 inclusive.
  • Young Workers Rate – £4.62 per hour, payable to workers aged under 18 but over the compulsory school age.
  • Apprenticeship Rate – £4.30 per hour, payable to apprentices aged 19 and under, or aged 19 and over but in their first year of apprenticeship.

Note that there is no minimum wage for children under the compulsory school age.

How does the National Living Wage differ from the NMW?

Introduced in April 2016, the National Living Wage (NLW) is an hourly rate calculated by the Living Wage Foundation as being the wage that workers need to earn in order to cover the basic costs of living. This means that all workers aged 23 or above are legally entitled to the NLW, which is set at £8.91 (4th April 2021) per hour, and those under 23 are entitled to other rates, dependant upon age amongst other factors.

Can I call an employee an “apprentice” and pay the lower rate NMW?

No. Firstly, the apprenticeship rate of £4.30 (from 4th April 2021) per hour is only payable to apprentices who are under 19, or who are 19 are or over and in their first year as an apprentice.  Secondly, an employer must ensure that its contract with the apprentice falls into one of two categories:

  • A common law “contract of apprenticeship”, which is a fairly old-fashioned arrangement that places training (rather than working for the employer) as the primary purpose of the contract; or
  • An “apprenticeship agreement”, which is a creature of statute and must be in a prescribed form, incorporating (amongst other things) details of the apprenticeship framework under which the employee is being trained.

An employer who pays the apprenticeship rate to an employee whose contract has not been properly drafted to comply with these requirements could fall foul of the NMW legislation. The employer could then be required to pay the full NMW rate, rather than the apprenticeship rate, to the employee.  If the underpayment is enforced via the HMRC compliance officers, then the employer could be required to pay an additional penalty of 200% of the original underpayment, as well as being “named and shamed” by the Department of Business Innovation and Skills.

Do I need to pay a wage for work experience or internships?

Children of compulsory school age are not entitled to be paid the NMW, so no difficulties arise when school children take part in work experience schemes.

However, the rules are different for young people who are over compulsory school age. There is a specific NMW exemption for work experience placements of up to one year undertaken by students as part of a UK-based Further or Higher Education course.

If a person is over the compulsory school age and entitled to the NMW, the lines between ‘worker’ and ‘intern’ must be clearly identified by the employer.  An intern must be there on a non-contractual basis and must not have restrictions placed on them, as they are working voluntarily.

Organisations can minimise the risk of an intern being found to be a worker by:

  • Avoiding making payments to interns, other than of actual expenses reimbursed against receipts
  • Removing or minimising perks that could be seen as ‘payment’
  • Ensuring that the intern is not bound by any obligations to the organisation, for example, by giving the intern the ability to refuse tasks or to choose when to work
  • Avoiding contractual language and instead use more flexible language such as “usual working hours” or “suggested tasks”
  • Treating interns fairly by having in place clear procedures for dealing with any problems that may arise

The issue of unpaid internships is a political hot potato at the moment, as they are said to favour the socially advantaged, whilst disadvantaging those who cannot afford to work without being paid.  Best HR practice is to engage interns on a proper worker’s contract and to pay them the NMW appropriate to their age band.

What are the penalties of failing to pay the NMW?

Notice of underpayment will be issued if the compliance officer concludes that the NMW has not been paid.  This comprises a requirement for the employer to repay the arrears of the NMW to the individual worker, as well as to pay a financial penalty to HMRC of 200% of the arrears. This means that the employer will effectively have to pay three times the amount of the underpayment.  The employer does have a right of appeal to an Employment Tribunal.

Once a notice of underpayment has been issued – unless it is successfully appealed – the employer will be “named” by the Department of Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (DBEIS).  While the employer can make written representations against being named, there are very few situations in which DBEIS will agree not to name an employer.  Often, the reputational damage to an organisation of being named is actually of more concern than the requirement to pay arrears and penalties.

While penalties of up to £20,000 per underpaid worker can be imposed, many NMW arrears penalties amount to less than £1,000 per worker.

In addition to enforcement by way of civil penalties and the “naming and shaming” regime, employers can be prosecuted by the CPS for refusing or willfully neglecting to pay NMW, failing to keep NMW records, making false entries, delaying or obstructing an investigation or refusing to answer questions.  Fines were previously capped at £5,000 for each individual offence, but now a criminal court can impose an unlimited fine upon conviction.

Get In Touch Today!

Get In Touch Today!

Please complete this form to make an enquiry and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Remember you can still call us on 0333 323 5292 or email us at law@luptonfawcett.law

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.