Employer Legal Advice for Managing Redundancy
It is critical that employers handle business reorganisations and redundancies in an ordered and structured way. Dealing with redundancies correctly will help to avoid unnecessary disruption and minimise the prospect of costly and time-consuming disputes and Employment Tribunal claims.
For help and advice on redundancy issues within your business, call the expert employment lawyers at Lupton Fawcett today on 0333 323 5292 or complete our the enquiry form and we will get back to you.
We suggest that employers follow a clear process when it comes to handling redundancies.
- Consider alternative options – can redundancies be avoided by ending overtime, retraining staff, offering voluntary redundancy or early retirement, and so on.
- Be prepared – if you have no other option, your business will need to make a plan for how to legally and fairly carry out the redundancies.
- Speak to management staff – inform any management staff of the upcoming changes and how their support may be needed and vice versa.
- Talk to your staff – your business is legally required to ‘consult meaningfully’ with your staff, including listening to any alternative suggestions they may have. Failing to do this could lead to cases of unfair dismissal by the ruling of an Employment Tribunal.
- Carefully choosing redundancies – it is important that during this process you select the employees you will make redundant in a fair and objective manner..
- Giving notice – it is crucial you give appropriate notice to all staff members and it is important to remember your staffs’ notice period rights.
- Redundancy appeals – if you fail to offer a right of appeal then that may make the redundant employee’s dismissal unfair..
- Planning for the future – lastly, it is important to show your remaining staff that the redundancies had a positive effect on the business’s future and communicate any plans for the future.
It is important that throughout the entire process, your business handles redundancies in a legal and fair manner, ensuring that the risk of an Employment Tribunal is kept to the absolute minimum.
How We Can Help
Our solicitors work closely with businesses across the UK in order to plan and smoothly manage their business reorganisation and redundancy processes. We use our expertise and detailed understanding of this often complex area of the law to assist businesses with:
- Identifying the correct redundancy pools
- Establishing robust and effective selection criteria
- Handling individual and/or collective redundancy consultations
- Enhanced redundancy packages and settlement agreements
- Dealing with appeals and redundancy based unfair dismissal claims
- Redundancy handling training
Redundancy Procedure Training
We regularly provide redundancy handling training into businesses and organisations and can tailor our courses to meet your individual needs and requirements. Get in touch to find out more about our employment law training services.
Talk To Us
We have experienced Employment Lawyers ready to answer your redundancy process enquiries via email or telephone.
Lupton Fawcett are a leading personal and commercial law firm in Yorkshire with well-established offices of highly experienced solicitors in Leeds, Sheffield and York.
We provide a personalised service, with sector specialists and extensive resources to ensure we are giving you the best solutions to your problems.
Within every area of law, we put your interests first.
Our Employment Law Solicitors act regularly for clients across the United Kingdom including Bradford, Birmingham, Hull, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Sheffield, York and Nottingham. We also provide specialist niche legal and commercial services for Irish companies wishing to do business in the UK and legal advice for UK companies trading in the Republic of Ireland. We can support your needs wherever you live in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland.
We will always respond promptly, and we will be happy to help.