Landlord & Tenant Dispute Solicitors

We offer a bespoke service to property owners and residential landlords and pride ourselves on our close client relationships. Our years of experience and proven track record of delivering results make us the firm of choice for many landlords and tenants in resolving their property disputes.

Residential Property Disputes

Whether you are a homeowner or landlord we can advise you on any issues that you have regarding your property.

We can provide advice and assistance on all types of residential property disputes including, for example:

Dispute Resolution for Residential Landlords

There are times as a landlord when issues can arise, which may require specialist legal advice. Disagreements between landlords and tenants often arise due to contractual breaches on either side such as rent arrears, illegal sublets or housing disrepair claims.

Whatever your circumstances, our landlord solicitors can provide you with expert advice to help bring your dispute to a swift conclusion. Whether you are a private investor with just one rental property or a company with a large portfolio of residential lettings, contact us today on 0330 404 6399 and speak to one of our solicitors.

Our expertise

All the property dispute lawyers accredited members of the Property Litigation Association, the Residential Landlords Association so you can rest assured that we provide the highest levels of expertise and specialist knowledge that you should expect from your legal team.

We offer a bespoke service and pride ourselves on our close client relationships. Our years of experience and proven track record of delivering results make us the firm of choice for many landlords requiring property dispute resolution.

We can provide advice and assistance with:

  • Antisocial behaviour
  • Bringing possession claims against tenants
  • Claims against tenants for damage to property
  • Dealing with problem tenants
  • Defending breach of rental contract claims
  • Defending harassment claims
  • Defending housing disrepair claims
  • Defending unlawful eviction claims
  • Disputes with neighbours including title and boundary disputes
  • Evicting residential tenants
  • Eviction of squatters & trespassers
  • Forfeiture of residential leases
  • Infringement of property rights including rights of way
  • Leasehold enfranchisement
  • Professional negligence
  • Recovery of rent arrears, service charge and ground rent
  • Right of first refusal
  • Tenancy Deposit Protection Schemes

Types of dispute resolution

At Lupton Fawcett, we are experienced in all forms of dispute resolution and will take time to explore all the options for your particular situation, including mediation, arbitration, and negotiation so that wherever possible you don’t have to go to court.

Where litigation is the best course of action, we will take a proactive and robust approach, preparing your case thoroughly and representing you in court. Our accomplished team of lawyers have a formidable reputation across the industry and are known for achieving consistently excellent results.

Tenancy Agreements

Lupton Fawcett can also help with your tenancy agreements. These are legally binding documents so it pays to ask the experts, who will ensure your interests are protected. Our solicitors can advise you on all aspects of your tenancy agreements, checking existing contracts or drafting new ones. We will work with you to agree the terms, will highlight the essential requirements and ensure that it is tailored to meet your specific needs.

We also offer:

  • a full property portfolio management service designed for landlords and managing agents.
  • Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreements, management agreements, let-only agreements and guarantor forms

Contact us for help

With offices in Leeds, Sheffield and York, we offer a full range of legal services for clients throughout the UK. For confidential advice, contact us today by completing the enquiry form on this page or by calling 0330 404 6399 to speak to one of our team.

We also act for a range of businesses and landlords involved in commercial property disputes. Our clients range from small to large businesses, surveyors, contractors, property developers, and landlords.

We can provide advice and assistance on all types of commercial property In the past, we have successfully resolved disputes. Visit our Commercial property disputes page for more information and speak to one of our team today.

Why Choose Lupton Fawcett?

Having advised and supported many local families, individuals and businesses, we are proud to offer clients a dedicated service from specialist solicitors who are experts in their field:

We're Award Winning

We were awarded the Legal 500 HR/Employment Law team of the year in 2017

We're Connected

We're connected to the people, businesses and infrastructure throughout Yorkshire

We Put You First

You can be sure to expect superb client service from us. Our clients are our priority

We're accredited

Recognised by leading Legal Directories Chambers & Partners and the Legal 500

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I extend the lease on a leasehold property?

Extending a leasehold is a way to protect the value of your property, especially if your lease is getting close to its end date. Even a lease with many years left to run will typically be more valuable if extended, and there are legal processes in place to do this.

Typically you instruct a solicitor, as well as a valuation surveyor who calculates the premium payable for extending the lease. Your solicitor can then use this valuation to draft a notice to your landlord and inform the Land Registry of your application to extend the leasehold.

Can I be evicted by my landlord?

Eviction is a huge and technical subject area and if you are facing eviction we would urge you to get in contact directly so we can assess your specific case and give you individual advice.

However, it is worth noting that depending on your type of tenancy, there are certain procedures your landlord should follow to give you fair notice if they want you to move out. In some cases you might be able to refuse to leave – at least until you can find somewhere else to go to.

Can I evict my tenant?

We would not recommend evicting a tenant without seeking legal advice, unless you are very certain of your rights as a landlord.

By consulting us first, you can make sure you follow the correct legal procedures for taking back possession of your property. This is not only fair to your tenants, giving them chance to make alternative arrangements, but helps to reduce the risk of a costly dispute, extra legal fees, lengthy delays and ultimately being unable to remove them from the residence.

Can I object to an increase in my rent?

Money – and especially an increase in rent – is a common cause of landlord-tenant disputes. You can object to a rent increase on a number of grounds:

  • If you are on a fixed-term tenancy agreement.
  • If your landlord has increased the rent more than once in the past year.
  • If the increase is unfair or excessive compared with typical local rents.
  • If the increase is more than you have previously agreed.
  • If the increase is made without fair warning or the agreed notice period.

For landlords, we can advise you on making legally acceptable increases to rent, in line with your tenants’ rental agreements and the law in general.

What if my dispute goes to court?

Some landlord tenant disputes are dealt with by the First-Tier Tribunal, a part of the UK court system with a broad remit that includes residential property disputes.

The tribunal can hear claims from landlords, tenants, freeholders, leaseholders, site owners and park home occupiers on disputes including pitch fees, ground rent, leasehold disputes, rent repayment orders, right to buy and other such issues.

Do residential property disputes have to go to court?

Not necessarily. Many residential property disputes are resolved or settled outside of court. For example, it might simply be a case of setting out the source of the grievance in writing, so it is clear what action needs to be taken.

Some cases can be resolved through mediation – a non-court process where both parties’ points of view are equally represented and a professional mediator helps you to find a mutually acceptable way forward.

Related Blog Posts

NHS Test & Trace, Absence, Home-working & sick pay

Mortgage Possession Proceedings

Currently the general stay on most possession proceedings (and appeals in such proceedings) is due to run out at the end of this month.

Pencil iconBy Hayden Glynn on 4th June 2020

Is there anything Sellers can do to get ahead?

Covid-19’s impact on Residential Landlords enforcement remedies

This article considers the impact of COVID-19 on the residential landlord and tenant relationship.

Pencil iconBy Hayden Glynn on 29th April 2020

Adverse Possession

Can You Give Up a Right of Way by a Verbal Agreement?

When a verbal agreement is reached relating to rights of way, the parties should be quick to ensure they take the necessary steps to make

Pencil iconBy on 1st August 2019

Adverse Possession

The End of Section 21 Notices?

The government have recently announced plans to abolish the practice of landlords serving tenants Section 21 notices in order to address the uncertainty that tenants in

Pencil iconBy Rob Cooke on 3rd May 2019

Understanding Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards 1

Understanding Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards

We are living in more of an eco-friendly society compared to that of previous generations. So it is only natural that legislation is coming into

Pencil iconBy on 25th March 2019

Adverse Possession

Adverse Possession

Daniel Edwards explains the legal phenomenon which is adverse possession and how one case between two neighbours ended at the court of appeal.

Pencil iconBy on 5th March 2019

Adverse Possession

Can a residential tenant force a landlord to carry out repairs?

Where a landlord has an obligation to repair a property but has failed to do so, there are steps that the tenant can take to

Pencil iconBy Lupton Fawcett on 12th February 2019

What Residential Landlords Need To Know about the Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Act 2015

What Residential Landlords Need To Know about the Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Act 2015

What do Apple, Google, Facebook and Amazon all have in common?

Pencil iconBy Lupton Fawcett on 11th February 2019

Adverse Possession

Do I need Planning Permission for that?

Even an extension or new building, such as a conservatory, garage or home office, built within the grounds of your property may not need planning

Pencil iconBy on 25th October 2018

Adverse Possession

Can a Landlord effect service of a notice on a tenant by email?

If you are in the business of renting residential property you will be aware of the numerous formalities involved and will, most likely, have ensured

Pencil iconBy Kirsty Coggin on 17th September 2018

Adverse Possession

Section 21 notice changes

A Landlord can give their tenants with 2 months’ notice to leave a residential property let under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (“AST”) by way of service

Pencil iconBy on 29th August 2018

Adverse Possession

Japanese Knotweed

If you haven’t already heard of the plant ‘Japanese Knotweed’ or if you don’t know what it is or what it looks like,

Pencil iconBy on 16th July 2018

Get In Touch Today!

Get In Touch Today!

Please complete this form to make an enquiry and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Remember you can still call us on 0333 323 5292 or email us at

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.