Chris is a Partner and Head of the Family Law Department. Having qualified as a Solicitor in 1994, his practice has exclusively covered a wide spectrum of family law issues. He regularly advises spouses and civil partners in relation to divorce and financial matters arising out of the breakdown of marriages and also advises on the drafting of cohabitation, pre-nuptial, post-nuptial and separation agreements.
Chris is an experienced and respected court advocate and has represented parties in cases which have been cited in the Law Reports and on matters which have attracted national media coverage.
He has also acted for and against people in the public domain.
Chris has been a long standing member of the Law Society's specialist Children Panel since 1999 and was elected to the North and West Yorkshire Regional Committee of Resolution in 2013. He is also the Press Officer for the Regional Committee which covers West and North Yorkshire.
Clients value the depth and breadth of experience, pragmatism and detail that Chris offers when advising, negotiating or litigating in family law matters.
He is often instructed to advise Local Authorities on a wide range of child protection issues, prior to and following issue of proceedings.
Chris is a member of the firm’s Family Business team. He is able to advise business owners on how best to protect their wealth and business assets in the event of a marital breakdown.
He also advises schools in relation to their internal policies, procedures and responsibilities and ensures policies are compliant with regulation and law.
Chris also has experience in representing parents in appeals against Local Authorities decisions and has been instructed to represent parents at a First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability).
He is a regular author of articles in local newspapers which cover various topical family law issues.
- Divorce & Financial settlements
- Adoption and Children Act applications
- Cohabitation / Civil Partnership disputes
- Trusts of Land disputes and claims
- Pre-nuptial, cohabitation and Separation Agreements
- Private Law Children Act disputes concerning children (acting for parents in applications for child arrangements orders)
- Public Law Children Act applications (acting for Local Authorities, parents and children's guardians)
- Advising Local Authorities on Child Protection matters
- Advising schools on policies and procedures
- 1991 Completed LL.B (Hons) degree
- 1994 Qualified as a Solicitor
- 1998 Assistant Solicitor at Lee & Priestley LLP
- 2001 Salaried Partner at Lee & Priestley LLP
- 2005 Equity Partner at Lee & Priestley LLP
- 2012 Director at Lupton Fawcett Lee & Priestley
- 2013 Director at Lupton Fawcett LLP
- 2015Appointed as the Regional Committee's Press Officer for North Yorkshire Resolution
- 2016 Appointed as the Regional Committee's Press Officer for West and North Yorkshire Resolution
- 2016Appointed Head of Family Law at Lupton Fawcett LLP
What Others Say
You provided me with clear, sensible and sound advice that was easy to understand. - Mr P
Very pleased with the service. - Mrs W
What a great job Chris did to finalise the court orders and hearing for us. - Mr & Mrs D
Excellent service was offered. - Anon
I was heartened by the detailed responses both in the meeting and via email that Chris was able to give – he seems to have a very clear handle on the situation and is doing his best to keep you appraised of your rights. - Financial adviser to Lady G
Thank you, Chris, for all you have done to help me. - Ms K
The Legal 500 2017 legal directory ranks Chris as a leading individual and commends his team. Clients single out Lupton Fawcett LLP’s family law practice for its ‘professional, pragmatic and client-focused service, great attention to detail and specialist expertise’. Headed by Christopher Burns (‘particularly good at cohabitation disputes’), the practice provides region-wide coverage to high-net-worth and privately funded clients from its offices in Leeds, York and Sheffield, with particular emphasis on financial provision issues arising from family breakdown.
The Legal 500 2018 legal directory says "Chris Burns heads the practice and is 'a top-class advocate'; he handles a range of family and financial remedy matters and has a specialism for children's work."
Chambers and Partners cite Chris as "to the point, direct and no-nonsense approach: he tells it like it is and he is very good at what he does".
Lupton Fawcett's Family team is recognised as a 'solid family practice' headed by Chris Burns who is described as a 'top-class advocate' - Legal 500, November 2018
- Law Society
- Leeds Law Society
- Member of Resolution
- Member of Law Society's specialist Children's Panel
- Resolution Regional Committee Member
When not at work
When not at work Chris enjoys walking which is sometimes combined with the odd game of golf. Otherwise, he enjoys the theatre, cinema, music, and cooking.