Lionel Lennox is now a Consultant at Lupton Fawcett having been in practice both as a solicitor and notary public in York for 30 years.
He continues to provide notary services from our York office.
Lionel is a leading national specialist in ecclesiastical law having been Registrar for both the Diocese and Province of York, Registrar of the Diocese of Sodor and Man and Registrar of Tribunals for the Province of York.
He is a member of the Ecclesiastical Law Society and Ecclesiastical Law Association. Lionel is a recognised leader in all areas of ecclesiastical law throughout England; he provided the foundation for Lupton Fawcett's ecclesiastical practice at both our York and Leeds offices.
His expertise also covers listed and ancient buildings. Lionel is also involved in advising charities and has been a trustee of several charities.
Lionel is a former President of the Yorkshire Law Society and Chairman of the Ecclesiastical Law Association.
- 1981 First Assistant Legal Advisor to the General Synod of the Church of England
- 1987 Returned to York and became a Partner at Denison Till
- 1987 Appointed Registrar of the Province & Diocese of York, and Legal Secretary to the Archbishop of York
- 1992 Qualified as Notary Public
- 2006 Under Sheriff City of York
- 2006 Appointed Registrar of Tribunals for the Province of York
- 2007 President Yorkshire Law Society
- 2013 Became a Director at Lupton Fawcett
- 2014-2016 Chairman Ecclesiastical Law Association
- 2015 Appointed as Canon Provincial of York
What Others Say
Lionel and his team in the Ecclesiastical Department at Lupton Fawcett offer an outstanding service… Especially helpful is Lionel's thorough and specialist knowledge of new and pending ecclesiastical legislation. I have relied on the department's friendly and reliable assistance countless times. - An Archdeacon
I have always been impressed by the swift, efficient and effective service that I received from you and your staff. As well as the through-going professionalism which I would expect from a reputable practice, such as yours. I have also been so grateful that you and your staff also show such an empathy with, and understanding of, the mission and work of the Church of England, and its idiosyncrasies! - A Parish Vicar
When not at work
Lionel enjoys getting out into fresh-air / up the hills and onto the moors. He also has a long running mission to restore his classic Sunbeam Talbot and enjoys a good pint of real ale.