Matthew specialises in all aspects of private family law, with an emphasis on divorce and financial issues on behalf of high net worth individuals where substantial assets are in dispute.He is recognised by the prestigious Legal 500 legal directory in its 2013 edition as a Rising Star.
A significant number of Matthew’s cases involve trusts, commercial and tax issues and family businesses. He has particular expertise in cases involving inherited wealth, pre-marital assets and international aspects. He also advises on disputes relating to children including contact, residence and financial provision.
Matthew is noted for a sensible and commercial approach to cases and an ability to negotiate effectively, bringing calm and common sense to the most contentious of disputes. He is approachable and can offer support to clients at an emotional low. He also has strong relationships with a trusted panel of experts including leading barristers, forensic accountants, tax specialists and financial advisors.
Matthew trained at Gordons LLP and became an integral member of a family department recognised as being a leading specialist in the North after qualifying as a solicitor in 2008, before joining Lupton Fawcett in 2014.
Matthew is an active member of the Resolution Committee, which is the country’s largest association of specialist family lawyers. He is the current Chair of Young Resolution for the West & North Yorkshire region, organising regular seminars and networking events and working alongside other regions promoting family law issues on a national level.
- Divorce, judicial separation and civil partnership proceedings
- Resolution of complex financial issues through negotiation, Court proceedings or other forms of alternative dispute resolution
- Emergency injunction procedures to freeze assets and attempts to transfer wealth out of the jurisdiction
- Pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements
- Separation agreements
- Cohabitation agreements for unmarried couples wishing to safeguard assets
- Resolution of cohabitation claims, including the property rights of unmarried families
- Schedule 1 applications for financial provision on behalf of children of unmarried families
- Non-molestation and occupation order applications in cases involving domestic violence
- Arrangements relating to children, including contact and residence disputes
- Change of name deeds
- 2002 Graduated from the University of Manchester
- 2004 Completed Legal Practice Course at the College of Law, York
- 2004 Became a Paralegal at CMS Cameron McKenna LLP
- 2006 Became a Trainee Solicitor at Gordons LLP
- 2008 Qualified as a Solicitor at Gordons LLP
- 2014 Joined Lupton Fawcett
- 2016 Appointed to the Resolution Committee for West & North Yorkshire
What Others Say
Matthew is recognised in the Legal 500 as a “rising star”.
In the context of the particularly demanding cases such as those involving complex company structures and trusts and the like, Matthew has the considerable advantage of ready and speedy recourse to the expertise available in other specialist departments at Lupton Fawcet Denison Tillt. Matthew brings to bear the right combination of intellectual rigour, careful preparation and sound judgement and consequently he is developing an excellent reputation with clients and professional colleagues alike. - Roger Bickerdike, Zenith Chambers
I can't thank you enough for everything you've done and I'm looking forward to that celebratory drink! Mr C
I certainly would gladly recommend you to others. You have done a sterling job Matthew. I will forever be grateful for all you have achieved on my behalf Ms H
Thank you so much for giving me this news. I am so very grateful for all that you have achieved. Mrs H
- Law Society
- Regional Chair of Young Resolution for West andNorth Yorkshire
When not at work
Matthew enjoys playing squash, football and golf (badly). He is also known to partake in extreme sports such as bungee jumping, sky diving, and white water rafting. He is also an avid Manchester United supporter.
Matthew currently lives in Skipton and regularly goes hiking in the Yorkshire Dales and Lake District, however he also has a keen interest in international travel.