The basics of Intellectual Property
Module Leader/s: Clive Lawrence/John Sykes
Full Day course
This informative and interactive full day session (which combines theory-based learning with a series of interactive group sessions) has been created to provide a comprehensive introduction to the relevant law for anyone who works day to day with the things intellectual property protects – technologies, ideas and innovations, original designs and new products, brands and advertising, software and databases, creativity and creative work in all its forms.
This module aims to provide participants with:
- the knowledge and understanding they need to take the right steps in order to identify, protect and defend the intellectual property rights they and their businesses create, and turn innovation into value.
- the legal understanding to avoid the pitfalls that can cause opportunities to be lost or can expose them to liability
- a thorough introduction to the key concepts of intellectual property law.
By the end of this module, participants will:
- understand the key concepts that underpin UK intellectual property law;
- understand where creativity and effort can be turned into valuable property rights and what can be done to identify, protect and defend those rights;
- be better armed to deal with threats from outside and to avoid liability for infringement;
- be able to use the learning they have acquired to add value to their business; and
- have had the chance to discuss and argue positions extensively throughout the group work and case studies, giving them the confidence to apply what they have learned in a live environment.
The Basics of Intellectual Property: Course Agenda
|09:00 - 09:30||Coffee and Registration|
|09:30 - 09:35||Introduction to the day|
|09:35 - 10:15||An introduction to inventions, patent law and know-how|
|10:15 - 11:00||Group work and case study|
|11:00 - 11:15||Coffee Break|
|11:15 - 11:45||An introduction to design law and registered designs|
|11:45 - 12:30||Group work and case study|
|12:30 - 13:15||Lunch|
|13:15 - 14:00||An introduction to copyright and database rights|
|14:00 - 14:15||Group work and case study|
|14:15 - 14:30||Coffee Break|
|14:30 - 15:15||An introduction to trade marks and passing off|
|15:15 - 16:15||Group work and case study|
|16:15 - 16:30||Recap of the day|
Our standard charge is £200 plus VAT per delegate for a full day course, if it is being held at our premises or a venue close to our offices. In addition, we do offer three for the price of two rates.
For a half day course, our fees are £125 plus VAT per delegate.
Should you require the course to be held in-house at your premises, then the fee would be £2,000 plus VAT for up to 12 attendees. Should your premises be in London, then the fee would be £2500 plus VAT plus travel and hotel costs.
For a half day course, our fee would be £1250 or £1500 for London plus travel costs.
If you are interested in reserving a place, please contact Hayley MacDonald.
Get in Touch
With Lupton Fawcett on your side, you're taking control. Contact us today.
“ I just want to add that yesterday’s seminar was absolutely brilliant, the speakers, their subject knowledge and content was exceptional and it was delivered in such a way that an otherwise difficult and sometimes ‘dry’ subject came across in manageable and enjoyable format.” Kate Swinton, Sweet Squared
“This was one of only a handful of courses that I have ever been on where I have walked away having thought that it was time well spent, and that I had learnt something" Gemma Gill, Call Credit Information Group Leeds
“Well presented with especially useful discussions about real case studies. Excellent training day throughout“. Saoirse Cowley, Government Legal Department
“Pitched at the right level; not too detailed but sufficient to enable an overall understanding of key aspects of employment law”. Chris Brewster, Animal Care Plc
“Excellent presentation, clear learning outcomes and very good case studies”. Attendee Chaucer Foods Limited
“Excellent and entertaining delivery“. Bred Duncan, Duncan Chartered Accountants
“Very well presented. All information detailed and very well put across”. Mathew Chafer, Begbies Traynor
“Excellent presenters, dynamic case studies and examples”. Camilla Reece, Financial Force
“Really enjoyed the day ; learned something new ! Excellent facilitators“. Sarah Kelly, HR Manager CPP
“Very well presented and very informative”. Shanna Pindair, Yorkshire Energy Partnership
“Detailed , very informative, great use of case studies to illustrate examples”. Alexandra Myer, Morrisons Supermarket Plc