Private and Cookie PolicyWe use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. We will take your continued use of our website as consent to our use of cookies.



personal disputes banner

Small Claims Court Cases

If you are considering making a small claim, or have had a claim made against you, our small claims court solicitors will be able to assist you and advise on the next steps to take. 

We know the prospect of paying legal fees is off-putting, so we have fixed our fees for small claim cases, meaning we don’t charge by the hour. And you don't even have to instruct us for the whole case - just use us for the parts where you feel in need of help and limit your costs accordingly.

To speak to our team of small claims court solicitors, contact our Leeds, York or Sheffield-based offices by calling 0333 323 5292, or by completing our online contact form and we will be in touch at our earliest convenience.

Small Claims Court Explained

The small claims court is essentially a simplified court procedure that is designed to resolve smaller cases in an easy and efficient manner. For a case to be eligible for the small claims court, the financial value of the claim in question cannot be more than £10,000.

Typically, the small claims court is there to resolve low-scale disputes between people, organisations or both. Some of the issues that can be resolved in a small claims court include: 

  • Low value/straightforward disputes between private landlords and tenants
  • Unpaid bills, fines, loans or debts
  • Mis-sold goods
  • A refusal to fulfil a warranty (e.g. in respect of a vehicle, or household goods)
  • Contractual disputes
  • Housing disrepair

The Team

If you have a small claims dispute,  Lupton Fawcett can offer a menu of fixed-cost services designed to help you navigate your way through the system, and give you the best chance of getting justice.

We act for both claimants and defendants on a wide range of cases, whether they are businesses or individuals. For more information on our small claims court services and their fixed fees, view our costs sheet here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Will I need legal representation in a small claims court?

Whilst representation is not essential for the small claims court, it is beneficial to have a solicitor to help out with some of the more daunting processes that are wrapped in legal jargon and confusing forms. It is also highly desirable to get specialist advice from us about the merits of your claim (or the merits of defending a claim brought against you) at the outset, and ideally before either party starts proceedings. This is where we can add real value.

With an experienced solicitor on your side, you can navigate the small claims court quickly and easily, all for a fee that is fixed and proportionate.

What claims cannot be brought into the small claims court?

Claims which are not permitted to be resolved through the small claims court include:

  • Claims against the government
  • Personal injury compensation
  • Claiming a deposit back from your landlord
  • Claims that are worth more than £10,000 in value

How do I start a claim?

To open a claim in the small claims court, you will need to file a claim form, which can be submitted on the money claims online website or via post to the court. When submitting your form, you will be required to pay a court fee. The cost of this will be dependent upon the amount that you are claiming.

A defence has been filed against my claim. What should I do?

If a defence has been filed against your claim, the court will send you a copy of the defence to ensure you are fully informed. The court will then ask you to complete an allocation questionnaire, which will provide more details about the claim. At this point, we would strongly recommend seeking legal representation in order to ensure you have the best possible chance of winning your claim.

I am being sued in the small claims court. What should I do?

You must file an acknowledgement of service within 14 days, and a defence within 28 days, of receiving the claim. If you don’t, default judgment may be made against you. You should contact us as soon as you receive the claim, ideally before that if you’ve received a letter threatening court action.

Contact Us Today

Contact any of our offices in Leeds, York or Sheffield to speak to a member of the team using the contact details below.

Get in Touch

With Lupton Fawcett on your side, you're taking control. Contact us today.

Enquiry Form

Please complete this form to make an enquiry and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Remember you can still call us on 0333 323 5292 or email us at

Get in Touch