Private and Cookie PolicyWe use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. We will take your continued use of our website as consent to our use of cookies.




personal injury banner

Can I make an injury claim if I am self-employed?

It is a common misconception that self-employed workers are unable to make a claim for an accident at work because they have no one to make a claim against. If you are self-employed, you are responsible for your own safety. However, if an injury is caused while you’re working for another company then your safety is their responsibility and you can make a claim for compensation against them if the injury was caused as a result of their negligence or the negligence of one of their employees.

When self-employed workers are hired by a contracting company, they usually work on their premises and use their tools and equipment, and if the workplace is unsafe or equipment is defective, then it is the hiring company’s responsibility if the self-employed worker suffers an injury. The same can be said if you work in a location (for example, a construction site) with other contractors, and you are injured due to the negligence of one of them, or their employees.

Self-employed workers who are likely to work alongside others include:

  • Builders
  • Plumbers
  • Electricians
  • Roofers
  • Groundworkers
  • Joiners
  • Scaffolding contractors
  • Farmers
  • Decorators

What should I do if I’ve had an accident at work?

If you have had an accident at work that was caused by somebody else, it is vital you receive medical attention as soon as possible no matter how serious your injury is. This is important because if you decide to pursue a claim for compensation, you will need a detailed medical record. You should also keep a record of what happened and who saw it happen. If possible, photographic evidence of the incident site can be particularly useful in self-employed injury cases, as well as pictures of your injuries.

You should contact the expert solicitors at Lupton Fawcett who can advise and guide you through the entire process.

Contact us

To speak to us about an accident you’ve had as a self-employed worker, you can call us today on 0333 323 5292, or fill in our online enquiry form to let our lawyers know you’d like to hear from us.   

Get in Touch

With Lupton Fawcett on your side, you're taking control. Contact us today.

Enquiry Form

Please complete this form to make an enquiry and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Remember you can still call us on 0333 323 5292 or email us at

  • Mr Faulkner

    Excellent professional service from start to finish. Thank you so much for your hard work. Tracey - you and your team are amazing.

Get in Touch