Private and Cookie PolicyWe use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. We will take your continued use of our website as consent to our use of cookies.




motoring offence banner

Road traffic and motoring - related articles

What should I do to comply with the law if I have a car accident?

The scenario is unfortunately a common one – an employee or director driving on work related business is involved in an RTA. What does the driver need to do to comply with the law?

If one or more of the following occurs:

  • anyone, other than the driver, is injured;
  • another vehicle or any other property is damaged;
  • an animal has been killed/injured, except in the driver’s vehicle (an 'animal' means 'any horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog').

The driver must:

  • stop and remain at the scene for a reasonable period;
  • give registration number, name and address, and that of the vehicle owner (if different), to anyone with reasonable grounds for asking;
  • if details are not exchanged at the scene, you must report the accident in person at a police station or to a PC as soon as you can, and in any case within 24 hours.

Where injury is caused to another, then in addition you must also produce a certificate of insurance to anyone at the scene who has reasonable grounds to see it.  If not, you must report the accident in person at a police station or to a PC as soon as you can, and in any case within 24 hours. 

Failure to comply with these obligations can mean two offences are being committed: failing to stop and failing to report.  You can be guilty of either or both.  The penalties are a fine up to £5,000 and 5 - 10 points. The Court can disqualify you from driving and often does when both offences are committed together.  They also carry a maximum of 6 months' imprisonment.

Even if there is no personal injury, if someone holds you responsible for the accident, they have the right to request your insurance details.  This request can be made later; it does not necessarily have to be at the time of the accident.  A failure to provide that information without a reasonable excuse is also an offence.

Contrary to popular belief, provided you comply with the requirements to stop, exchange information and in injury cases to produce your insurance, there is no automatic obligation to report an accident to the Police. Accordingly it is wise to keep a copy of the insurance certificate in the vehicle.

You should make anyone who drives on work related business (anything other than commuting to their normal place of work) aware of the law before allowing them to drive. A simple way to do this is to copy this article, ensure all drivers have read it, and keep a copy in their vehicle.

For further help or advice, please contact Jeremy Scott

Get in Touch

With Lupton Fawcett on your side, you're taking control. Contact us today.

Enquiry Form

Please complete this form to make an enquiry and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Remember you can still call us on 0333 323 5292 or email us at

  • Pete Gunson

    I would just like to write a few lines on the service I have received. From the very outset, Meghan helped put me more at ease, by explaining the process in simple terms of which before, seemed like a very daunting task. She was very calm and professional during my interview, which helped as the policeman had little understanding of how the law works in these situations. Meghan looked through the case and really helped me through the next steps towards the court. I received very good advice at court. Meghan's knowledge of the law helped me achieve the result I needed to retain my license and be able to carry on with my busy life. My family, staff and I will be forever grateful, and I would not hesitate to recommend Meghan Waldron and Lupton Fawcett in the future.

Get in Touch