Private and Cookie PolicyWe use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. We will take your continued use of our website as consent to our use of cookies.




private client banner

When Someone Has Died

When you lose a family member or relative, there are steps that need to be taken after their death. We appreciate that losing somebody can be a difficult and distressing time and it may the first time you have experienced this situation. 

It is surprising how much work needs to be done when somebody dies, but the solicitors at Lupton Fawcett can help ensure the necessary steps are taken care of to ease the upset during the grieving period.

For legal support following the death of somebody you care about, get in touch with us by calling 0333 323 5292. Alternatively, fill in our online enquiry form and we will get back to you at a time convenient for you.

How We Can Help

From the moment of your first call to us, you will be put through to an experienced, caring and sympathetic adviser who will guide you through the steps that you need to take when someone dies. You will be given a direct line telephone number so that you will always deal with the same person.

We can help by:

  • Assisting with applications for Grant of Probate
  • Advising on inheritance tax (IHT)
  • Communicating with the Department for Work and Pensions and other organisations to deal with various assets and pay the bills on your behalf
  • Guiding you through the preparation of estate accounts, tax clearance and distribution of assets

If a director at Lupton Fawcett is appointed an executor of a will, we are able to register the death and arrange a funeral on your behalf should you so wish.

What You Will Need

To make it easier to complete any appropriate forms following the death of a family member or relative, it can help to have the following information or documents to hand:

  • Full name, including any previous names
  • Last address
  • Occupation
  • Passport
  • National Insurance number
  • NHS number
  • Driving licence
  • Birth certificate (if available) or date and place of birth
  • Marriage or civil partnership certificate (if available)
  • Proof of address (e.g. utility bill)
  • Medical certificate
  • Child Benefit number
  • Tax reference number
  • Organ donor card (if registered)

You should also take documents to prove your identity.

Registering a Death

This is usually carried out by a relative by attending the local registry office by appointment, unless the death has been referred to a Coroner.

Informing Those Who Need to Know

In addition to sharing the news with friends and family, there are other people and organisations that will need to be aware of the death. This includes:

  • The family doctor, dentist and any other health professionals
  • Any employers or schools, colleges or universities
  • The local social security or jobs and benefits office regarding any benefits
  • The bereavement service regarding any tax credits or other benefits
  • The blue badge unit to return a blue badge
  • Any insurance companies to check policies still cover anyone who might be affected
  • Relevant financial establishments, property or utility companies to cancel or change subscriptions, accounts, agreements, payments and direct debits

Locating a Will

The will or accompanying letter may contain funeral instructions and any related wishes, so it is important to locate one as soon as possible. In most cases, the original will is kept by the family’s solicitor and a copy will be kept in the deceased’s home. If there is not a will, it must be decided who will apply to the Probate Registry for letters of administration.

If the deceased person is mentioned in your will, it is worth speaking to a solicitor about changing your will, but this is not an urgent requirement.

Making Funeral Arrangements

Make an appointment with a funeral director to discuss the deceased’s wishes. Upon receipt of the funeral director’s invoice, the deceased’s bank will issue a cheque if there is enough money in the accounts.

Handling Assets

Assets are taken care of by the executors, which will be named in the will. Executors have authority to handle assets from the date of death if they intend to take up their role; however, a Grant of Probate must be obtained first. There are few exceptions where a Grant is not required, such as in the inclusion of joint assets and bank accounts with a total balance of less than £25,000.  

Talk to Us

To speak to a solicitor for help when somebody dies, contact our Leeds, Sheffield or York office today by using the details below.

Get in Touch

With Lupton Fawcett on your side, you're taking control. Contact us today.

Enquiry Form

Please complete this form to make an enquiry and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Remember you can still call us on 0333 323 5292 or email us at

Get in Touch