Residential disputes can be complex and ongoing, especially where the dispute arises due to one party’s behaviour rather than specific damage to the property. With our expert assistance we can help you to understand your legal position and how to use the law to protect your rights.

Our specialist solicitors can also handle claims from other parties involved in residential property disputes, whether you are the freeholder or leaseholder, a representative of a property management agency or housing association, a park home occupier or a site owner.

Speak to one of our residential dispute solicitors in Leeds, York or Sheffield today by calling us on 0333 323 5292 or fill in the enquiry form on this page for a prompt reply from a member of our team – you’ll find full details at the bottom of the page.

Landlord & Tenant Residential Disputes Explained

Residential disputes between landlords and tenants arise from a number of different causing factors, for example:

  • Behavioural – Antisocial behaviour, noise levels, nuisance tenants.
  • Financial – Rent arrears, service charges, withheld deposits.
  • Material – Damage to property, inventory disputes, property disrepair.
  • Legal – Disputes over tenancy agreement terms, unlawful eviction claims.
  • Criminal – Illegal occupation by squatters and trespassers.

The list goes on and generally speaking, any dispute between a landlord and a tenant – including illegal occupants of a rental property – can fall into this category. We can also help with other general property disputes, so if your particular situation is not listed here, please get in touch.

For landlords with a portfolio of properties, we can provide tenancy dispute services across your full estate as part of an ongoing arrangement. This includes checking existing tenancy agreements and drawing up new legally binding contracts with tenants that protect you against damage and antisocial tenant behaviour.

We can also advise on other relevant legal documents, such as management agreements, let-only agreements and guarantor forms, to protect landlords of managed properties and in the event that a tenant uses a guarantor to qualify for a particular property.

Contact Us Today

You can contact our residential dispute solicitors in Sheffield, Leeds or York using the details on the enquiry form and a member of our team will be happy to help.

Why Choose Lupton Fawcett?

Having advised and supported many local families, individuals and businesses, we are proud to offer clients a dedicated service from specialist solicitors who are experts in their field:

We're Award Winning

We were awarded the Legal 500 HR/Employment Law team of the year in 2017

We're Connected

We're connected to the people, businesses and infrastructure throughout Yorkshire

We Put You First

You can be sure to expect superb client service from us. Our clients are our priority

We're accredited

Recognised by leading Legal Directories Chambers & Partners and the Legal 500

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I extend the lease on a leasehold property?

Extending a leasehold is a way to protect the value of your property, especially if your lease is getting close to its end date. Even a lease with many years left to run will typically be more valuable if extended, and there are legal processes in place to do this.

Typically you instruct a solicitor, as well as a valuation surveyor who calculates the premium payable for extending the lease. Your solicitor can then use this valuation to draft a notice to your landlord and inform the Land Registry of your application to extend the leasehold.

Can I be evicted by my landlord?

Eviction is a huge and technical subject area and if you are facing eviction we would urge you to get in contact directly so we can assess your specific case and give you individual advice.

However, it is worth noting that depending on your type of tenancy, there are certain procedures your landlord should follow to give you fair notice if they want you to move out. In some cases you might be able to refuse to leave – at least until you can find somewhere else to go to.

Can I evict my tenant?

We would not recommend evicting a tenant without seeking legal advice, unless you are very certain of your rights as a landlord.

By consulting us first, you can make sure you follow the correct legal procedures for taking back possession of your property. This is not only fair to your tenants, giving them chance to make alternative arrangements, but helps to reduce the risk of a costly dispute, extra legal fees, lengthy delays and ultimately being unable to remove them from the residence.

Can I object to an increase in my rent?

Money – and especially an increase in rent – is a common cause of landlord-tenant disputes. You can object to a rent increase on a number of grounds:

  • If you are on a fixed-term tenancy agreement.
  • If your landlord has increased the rent more than once in the past year.
  • If the increase is unfair or excessive compared with typical local rents.
  • If the increase is more than you have previously agreed.
  • If the increase is made without fair warning or the agreed notice period.

For landlords, we can advise you on making legally acceptable increases to rent, in line with your tenants’ rental agreements and the law in general.

What if my dispute goes to court?

Some landlord tenant disputes are dealt with by the First-Tier Tribunal, a part of the UK court system with a broad remit that includes residential property disputes.

The tribunal can hear claims from landlords, tenants, freeholders, leaseholders, site owners and park home occupiers on disputes including pitch fees, ground rent, leasehold disputes, rent repayment orders, right to buy and other such issues.

Do residential property disputes have to go to court?

Not necessarily. Many residential property disputes are resolved or settled outside of court. For example, it might simply be a case of setting out the source of the grievance in writing, so it is clear what action needs to be taken.

Some cases can be resolved through mediation – a non-court process where both parties’ points of view are equally represented and a professional mediator helps you to find a mutually acceptable way forward.

Get In Touch Today!

Get In Touch Today!

Please complete this form to make an enquiry and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Remember you can still call us on 0333 323 5292 or email us at

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.