Module Leader: Louise Connacher
This interactive full-day training session (which combines theory-based learning with a series of interactive group sessions) gives an understanding of the duties imposed on organisations by the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), which came into force in May 2018.
The GDPR imposes duties on those who collect, store, manage and destroy data, and will be relevant to virtually all organisations in the UK.
This module aims to provide participants with:
- an understanding of the main concepts of the GDPR:
- data controllers and data processors
- personal data
- special categories of personal data
- data processing
- key data protection principles
- individuals' rights, including subject access requests and the right to be forgotten
- the knowledge to enable managers to ensure compliance with the GDPR at a practical level, including:
- how to ensure that the organisation can demonstrate lawful purposes for processing data
- the requirement for consent forms and privacy notices
- appointing a Data Protection Officer
- whether the organisation’s security arrangements are sufficiently robust
- how to handle subject access requests
- an understanding of the enforcement regime
- an overview of the GDPR and the steps that they should be taking now to ensure compliancewith the GDPR
By the end of this module, participants will:
- understand the key concepts relating to data protection within their own organisation
- be able to utilise their newly gained knowledge to prepare and implement an effective policy
- understand the current enforcement regime
- understand the main steps to take to ensure compliance with the GDPR
Data Protection: Course Agenda
|09:30 - 10:00||Coffee and Registration|
|10:00 - 10:05||Introduction to the day|
|10:05 - 10:15||Overview of legislation|
|10:15 - 10:45||Key definitions|
|10:45 - 11:15||Group activity and feedback|
|11:15 - 11:45||Coffee Break|
|11:45 - 13:00||The key data protection principles & Case study|
|13:00 - 14:00||Lunch|
|14:00 - 14:30||Consent|
|14:30 - 15:00||Rights of the data subject|
|15:00 - 15:30||Obligations of data controllers|
|15:30 - 15:45||Coffee Break|
|15:45 - 16:00||Case study and feedback|
|16:00 - 16:15||Enforcement, sanctions and remedies|
|16:15 - 16:30||What should you be doing now?|
|16:30 - 16:45||Recap of the day and learning outcomes|
Our standard charge is £200 plus VAT per delegate for a full day course, if it is being held at our premises or a venue close to our offices.
Should you require the course to be held in-house at your premises, then the fee would be £2,000 plus VAT for up to 12 attendees. Should your premises be in London, then the fee would be £2500 plus VAT plus travel and hotel costs.
For a half day course, our fee would be £1250 or £1500 for London plus travel costs.
If you are interested in reserving a place, please contact Hayley MacDonald.
We regularly host Data Protection training days in Leeds, Sheffield and York. Please click here to view our events page.
I found the course to be enjoyable and very informative on what is considered to be quite a dry subjectNeil Clarke Titan Interior Solutions
I found the course to be enjoyable and very informative on what is considered to be quite a dry subject
Get in Touch
With Lupton Fawcett on your side, you're taking control. Contact us today.
“ I just want to add that yesterday’s seminar was absolutely brilliant, the speakers, their subject knowledge and content was exceptional and it was delivered in such a way that an otherwise difficult and sometimes ‘dry’ subject came across in manageable and enjoyable format.” Kate Swinton, Sweet Squared
“This was one of only a handful of courses that I have ever been on where I have walked away having thought that it was time well spent, and that I had learnt something" Gemma Gill, Call Credit Information Group Leeds
“Well presented with especially useful discussions about real case studies. Excellent training day throughout“. Saoirse Cowley, Government Legal Department
“Pitched at the right level; not too detailed but sufficient to enable an overall understanding of key aspects of employment law”. Chris Brewster, Animal Care Plc
“Excellent presentation, clear learning outcomes and very good case studies”. Attendee Chaucer Foods Limited
“Excellent and entertaining delivery“. Bred Duncan, Duncan Chartered Accountants
“Very well presented. All information detailed and very well put across”. Mathew Chafer, Begbies Traynor
“Excellent presenters, dynamic case studies and examples”. Camilla Reece, Financial Force
“Really enjoyed the day ; learned something new ! Excellent facilitators“. Sarah Kelly, HR Manager CPP
“Very well presented and very informative”. Shanna Pindair, Yorkshire Energy Partnership
“Detailed , very informative, great use of case studies to illustrate examples”. Alexandra Myer, Morrisons Supermarket Plc