Charities have a unique tax status, in that their activities often qualify for tax reliefs and exemptions but this does not mean that charities never pay tax.
It is important to get the correct advice as to whether a relief or exemption is available in the particular circumstance and, if not, whether it is possible to reorganise the charity’s activities to come within a relief or exemption.
At Lupton Fawcett, we have a unique understanding and approach when it comes to helping charities. We are one of the few law firms in the Yorkshire region that has a charities specialism and we work alongside our dedicated Charities & Social Enterprises Group specialising in work with charitable and socially based enterprises and not-for-profit organisations.
Our expertise includes advising on:
- gifts to charities
- the new social investment tax relief (for qualifying investments in charities and social enterprises)
- VAT issues in connection with charities and social enterprises purchasing and developing land such as:
- disapplication of option to tax
- potential for zero rating
- new developments and extensions
- group VAT registration
- VAT issues generally
- availability of charitable reliefs and exemptions (from income tax, corporation tax, CGT and SDLT)
- tax restructuring of activities
Our recent experience includes:
- discussing VAT issues with seller in connection with a dis-application of the option to tax (where buyer was intending to convert building to Relevant Charitable Purpose (RCP) use)
- advising on ability for a charity to structure activities using a group structure to maintain charitable exemptions for direct tax purposes and enable VAT registration and input VAT recovery for certain income streams
- advising on zero rating for construction services and materials in relation to RCP and Relevant Residential Purpose (RRP) buildings
- advising on the potential for zero rating for onward supply of an RRP building
- advising on 10 year certificate for zero rated and reduced rate building works for RRP or RCP use and advice on change of use of certificated buildings
- advising on potential to mitigate VAT on supplies of staff to exempt / non-business entities
For further information, please contact Melanie List, Head of Tax at Lupton Fawcett.
Get in Touch
With Lupton Fawcett on your side, you're taking control. Contact us today.
I have known Dan for a number of years and he has been a valuable source of commercial advice across a wide range of issues.
Dirk Mischendahl, Ross and Cashmore Limited; Leeds Ice Cream Company Limited
Having Giles Clegg acting for us at director level, with this wealth of experience, meant that we were constantly several steps ahead of the other advisers.Henry Robinson
Jonathan Oxley is an invaluable sounding board with a can-do attitude.Chambers and Partners
Andrew and his colleagues at Lupton Fawcett were accessible and they provided us with excellent advice throughout the cross-border transaction. We would recommend the services of Andrew and his team to others.
Andrea Pappagallo, Vice President, Federal-Mogul Inc
Andrew's involvement in the negotiations helped us secure a very beneficial outcome for both Empowering Wind MFC Limited and Middlesbrough FC.Paul Millinder, Managing Director, Empowering Wind MFC Limited
Max is an excellent lawyer who knows my businesses inside out and always deal with my requirements promptly, efficiently and I can always rely on him to just 'sort it out' for me.John Hill, Hill Care Group
Martin provided not only spot on and instant legal advice, but he also came with a masterful and passionate negotiation technique - I'm glad he was on our side!
Richard Hunt, CEO, Agility Multichannel Limited
Giles and his team were invaluable to us, showing outstanding attention to detail coupled with a commercial and pragmatic approach where necessary.Peter Watson, Managing Partner, Simpson Millar