Charity and social enterprise solicitors
Lupton Fawcett is committed to the charities and not-for-profit sector and we are well placed to support charities with all their legal needs.
Our specialist Charities and Social Enterprises group comprises specialist charity and not-for-profit solicitors who can provide support on technical charity law and governance issues and the wider legal requirements required.
Our team regularly work with and understand the needs of charities and social enterprises; so, no matter what the legal issues, we can provide specialist support “under one roof”. We take the time to understand the aims and mission of each charity we work with so that we can provide our clients with a personalised and integrated service which delivers on value for money. Our aim is to become part of your team.
How we work with charities
Our dedicated Charities and Social Enterprises team provide expert advice on technical charity law issues, dealing with the Charity Commission and providing advice on constitutional and governance matters. Although charity law is notoriously complex, our approach is to provide pragmatic advice which focuses on the solution rather than the problem. Our charity solicitors are accessible and approachable and we are recognised by our clients for providing a responsive service and value for money.
As specialist charity lawyers we support charities on a range of issues, whether this be registering a new charity, reviewing your governing document, changing your legal structure, advising on fundraising and trading activities or obtaining consents from the Charity Commission. Below are examples of some of the advice we can provide:
- establishing and registering new charities;
- dealing with the Charity Commission and other regulators;
- changing your legal form (for example incorporating unincorporated charities as a CIO, company limited by guarantee or appointment of corporate trustees);
- constitutional reviews and amending your governing document;
- changing your charitable objects and advising on public benefit;
- mergers, collaborations and restructuring;
- purchase sale and mortgaging of charity land;
- complex trust issues;
- restrictive funds and permanent endowments;
- trading and establishment of subsidiary companies;
- donations and legacies; and
- trustee training.
How we work with faith-based organisations
With dedicated Charity and Ecclesiastical teams, we have particular expertise in advising faith-based organisations on charity law issues. This experience means that we are not only conscious of the legal framework that faith-based charities work within, but also that our advice needs to be in accordance with your mission, ethos and religious rules.
How we work with social enterprises
We recognise that obtaining charitable status is not suitable for all not-for-profit organisations. If you have an idea which will benefit the community, we can advise if obtaining charitable status is right for you or whether another legal vehicle would be more suitable. We advise on the establishment of:
- community interest companies;
- non-charitable companies limited by guarantee;
- CASCS (community amateur sports clubs); and
- community benefit societies.
We advise a wide spectrum of not-for-profit organisations on various legal issues, for example:
- constitutional reviews and changing your governing documents;
- mergers, collaborations and re-structures;
- bidding for assets of community value;
- establishing not-for-profit subsidiary companies;
- tax and trading; and
- obtaining charitable status and converting to CIOs.
Our specialist charity property team
We stand out from our competitors in having a dedicated Charity, Ecclesiastical and Education Property team. As well as providing tailored advice to charity clients on the purchase, sale and mortgaging of land, the team has a high level of expertise in dealing with the difficult property matters charities often face including complex trust issues, permanent endowments and dealing with land designated with a particular charitable purpose.
As recognised experts in charity and social enterprise law, we can support your needs wherever you live in England or Wales. If you would like a chat with one of our charity and social enterprise solicitors, call 0333 323 5292 or complete the enquiry form on this page.
Your key contact
Sign up for our newsletter
Please fill in the form below to receive legal updates and seminar invitations from our expert solicitors – straight to your inbox.