Social Services Lawyers

At Lupton Fawcett, we understand that involvement from social services can lead to feelings of fear, anger and confusion, which is why we are here to provide advice and support throughout social service proceedings.

If you have been contacted by social services and require representation at meetings, or want to know more about your rights, contact our family law solicitors today by calling 0333 323 5292, or by filling in then enquiry form on this page and someone will be in touch.

What are Social Services?

Social services can become involved with a family for a variety of reasons, including providing support during stressful times, helping care for disabled children, when a child is placed up for adoption and when a child has suffered or is likely to suffer significant harm.

Social services also have a duty to intervene when a referral is made regarding concerns of a child’s welfare. The action taken by social services depends on the situation, the risk of any harm to a child and levels of cooperation by a family.

Upon a referral, social services have five options, including:

  1. Taking no further action
  2. Providing support to the family
  3. Referring the matter to other agencies for assistance
  4. Undertaking an initial assessment to evaluate a family’s case
  5. Making an application to court to protect a child from harm

The Responsibilities of Social Services

If social services identify issues of concern in relation to you children, they may:

  • Create a Child in Need Plan and arrange a Child in Need Meeting outlining parents’ responsibilities and the services required to improve a child’s welfare
  • Undertake an assessment if a social worker believes a child has been harmed or is at risk of harm
  • Hold a Child Protection Conference meeting, which allows parents and professionals involved in a child’s life (e.g. teachers, health visitors, GPs and so on) to share information and come to a decision as to whether children have been subject to abuse
  • Place a child on the Child Protection Register and outline a Child Protection Plan to identify to parents the expectations and responsibilities to ensure a child’s safety; or
  • In serious cases where a social worker’s concerns have escalated, initiate a Public Law Outline (PLO) possibly resulting in court proceedings being issued

It is imperative that parents attend any meetings arranged by social services, so you can work together to improve the welfare and safety of a child. Our specialist family lawyers can provide legal representation throughout proceedings to ensure you fully understand the situation and your options.

For more information on social services, please take a look at our FAQs below.

Please note this information is provided by way of example and may not be complete and is certainly not intended to constitute legal advice. You should take bespoke advice for your circumstances.

Contact Us

At Lupton Fawcett, we understand that involvement from social services can lead to feelings of fear, anger and confusion, which is why we are here to provide advice and support throughout social service proceedings.

If you have been contacted by social services and require representation at meetings, or want to know more about your rights, contact us today on 0333 323 5292, email us or fill in the enquiry form on this page and we will get back to you shortly.

Lupton Fawcett are a leading personal and commercial law firm in Yorkshire with well-established offices of highly experienced solicitors in LeedsSheffield and York.

Our Family Law Solicitors act regularly for clients across the United Kingdom including Bradford, Birmingham, Hull, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Sheffield, York and Nottingham.  We can support your needs wherever you live in England, Wales & Northern Ireland.

For a no obligation initial consultation please either call the office or leave your details using the contact form at the top of this page.  We’ll be happy to help.

Richard Buckley represented me in, what turned out to be, highly contested court proceedings . Richard was very professional, knowledgeable and meticulous in his approach and he fought my corner when necessary. My divorce was not an easy one; it was very stressful but Richard always listened, put me at ease and took time to explain everything to me, making sure I understood his advice. He is very good at listening and keeping me on track. Richard doesn’t make me feel like a number, but a valued client. If anyone is looking for a family solicitor, I would not hesitate in recommending Richard.

Mr D Pickles

I cannot recommend Lupton Fawcett enough, I have just been through a very complicated and high conflict financial divorce but throughout the whole experience Richard Buckley and Chris Burns were always on hand to give reassurance, incredibly sound advice and straightforward explanations when things got difficult. For anyone who finds themselves in a difficult situation I highly recommend this firm, it’s the best decision you’ll make.

Nicola Shuttleworth

I instructed Chris Burns to advise me in relation to various financial issues which arose following the breakdown of my marriage. My case involved a dispute with my former husband over the ownership and occupation of a significant property with adjacent land. Chris steered me through the process of resolving this. Despite resistance from my former husband, Chris advised me with a determined focus and provided me with clear and pragmatic advice throughout the process and achieved my objective within the proceedings.


It’s rare to come across someone like Chris (Burns), absolutely clued up in his area, pragmatic and direct, yet supportive and respectful. As clients, he guided us through the process, quickly picking out what was important, remaining focused on the end game and delivering more than we could have expected. We would not hesitate to recommend Chris.


I would highly recommend Richard (Buckley) at Lupton Fawcett. He understood the difficult and sensitive nature of divorce and was reassuring and professional throughout. He explained the process clearly from the start and was always quick to respond

Charlotte H

'Chris Burns – experienced, capable, easy to talk to, provides an all round specialised knowledge of family work.‘

Legal 500 2021
Play icon
Chris Burns, Head of Family Law, discusses the new divorce laws - Video Thumbnail

Chris Burns, Head of Family Law, discusses the new divorce laws

Why Choose Lupton Fawcett?

Having advised and supported many local families, individuals and businesses, we are proud to offer clients a dedicated service from specialist solicitors who are experts in their field:

We're Award Winning

Multi-award winning - Yorkshire Team of the Year, Regional Employment Team of the Year, Employment Law Lawyer of the Year

We're Connected

We're connected to the people, businesses and infrastructure throughout Yorkshire

We Put You First

You can be sure to expect superb client service from us. Our clients are our priority

We're Your Law Firm

Your problems are real but how we approach them makes all the difference

Frequently Asked Questions

Social services are involved with my family, what can I do?

If social services have concerns about a child, they are not going to go away. You must co-operate with them or the situation may well escalate. It is important you speak to a solicitor as soon as possible.

What is an initial assessment?

An initial assessment is undertaken by a social worker to determine whether a family is in need of any additional services or support and what, if any, further action needs to be taken.

What is a Child in Need Plan?

Following an initial assessment, a plan may be drawn up which will identify which services are required to meet a child’s needs.

What is a Child in Need Meeting?

A Child in Need Meeting is called to review the Child in Need Plan to ensure that parents and professionals working with the child are all clear about the services required and their responsibilities to meet that child’s needs.

What is a Section 47 enquiry?

If social services believe there is a risk that the child has suffered or is likely to suffer significant harm then an S.47 enquiry will be undertaken. This enquiry will determine whether social services need to take further action to safeguard the child, either by holding a child protection conference, calling a Public Law Outline meeting or making an application to Court for a Care Order or Supervision Order.

What is a Child Protection Conference?

This is a meeting held where all parents and professionals involved in the children’s lives – for example, teachers, health visitors, GP’s – are invited to attend the meeting to share information. It is chaired by an Independent Chair who will guide the meeting.

Once information has been shared a decision will be made by all those in attendance as to whether or not the child is at risk of significant harm and if so under which category: Physical, Emotional, Sexual or Neglect. If the child’s name is placed on the Child Protection Register, a Child Protection Plan will be formulated. Parents are encouraged to attend these meeting and can take a legal representative with them.

What is a Child Protection Plan?

A Child Protection Plan outlines the areas of concern held in respect of a child and how those concerns are to be dealt with. It identifies the expectations and responsibilities of parents and professionals to ensure the child is kept safe. The plan is regularly reviewed in Core Group meetings.

I have received a Public Law Outline letter, what do I do next?

It is imperative that you seek legal advice. The PLO letter means that social services concerns have escalated and court proceedings are being contemplated. The letter sets out the areas of concern and what steps social services require you to take to bring about change. Details of a PLO meeting are contained within that letter. It is extremely important that you attend that meeting and can attend with legal representation.

Social services have placed a child in my care, what rights do I have?

In some cases where social services have concerns regarding the parenting of a child, the child is placed with a family member. These are informal arrangements but can be lengthy. It is important that the carer obtains legal advice to ensure their position is protected and they are receiving both practical and financial support from social services.

Get In Touch Today!

Get In Touch Today!

Please complete this form to make an enquiry and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Remember you can still call us on 0333 323 5292 or email us at

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.