Clive is a Partner at Lupton Fawcett and heads the Intellectual Property and Commercial Law Department.
He specialises in all forms of intellectual property law. He has acted for numerous household name companies (including football governing bodies and Premier League clubs) and individuals on both the commercial aspects of intellectual property and in disputes. He has been listed as an expert in intellectual property, media and sports law in numerous guides to the profession, including the Legal 500, Chambers and Partners and Legal Experts.
Alongside his work in the sports industry he has done a large amount of work with professionals and organisations throughout the arts and creative industries. Clive also advises extensively on commercial matters and matters relating to charities and not for profit organisations
Clive has published extensively on intellectual property and sports law and was a board member of Leeds Media. He was a trustee and then Chair of Audiences Yorkshire, the audience development agency for the arts in the region. He is also a Visiting Lecturer at Leeds Beckett University.
- 1990 Graduated Downing College Cambridge
- 1993 Qualified as Solicitor
- 1996 Partner at McCormicks, Leeds
- 1999 Published “Sport, Business and the Law” (Jordan Publishing Ltd), co-author
- 2003 Published chapters on Intellectual Property in Sport and Licensing and Merchandising in “Sport: Law and Practice” (Butterworths)
- 2005 Published “Sports Business: Law Practice and Precedents” (Jordan Publishing Ltd), the revised second edition, co-author
- 2007 Partner at Clarion, Leeds
- 2008 Published “Brands: Law, Practice and Precedents” (Jordan Publishing Ltd), sole author
- 2008 Published chapters on Intellectual Property in Sport and Licensing and Merchandising in “Sport: Law and Practice” 2nd Edition (Bloomsbury)
- 2009 Consultant Cohen Cramer/FrontRow Legal
- 2014 Published chapters on Intellectual Property in Sport and Licensing and Merchandising in “Sport: Law and Practice” 3rd Edition (Tottel)
- 2015 Westlaw Insight Article “Intellectual Property in Sport”
- 2016 Consultant Lupton Fawcett
- 2017 Director
- 2017 Awarded ILM Exceptional Trainer Certificate
What Others Say
well-written, incisive and informative, Brands: Law, Practice and Precedents is vital reading for intellectual property, commercial and media lawyers, as well as advertising and marketing consultancies, design agencies and brand managers in major companies”
The Inhouse Lawyer Magazine on “Brands: Law, Practice and Precedents” (Jordan Publishing Ltd 2008)
- Law Society
When not at work
Clive enjoys hill walking, music and theatre, and is a published writer and translator on topics with nothing at all to do with the law.