David is a Partner at Lupton Fawcett LLP.
With nearly 30 years experience in all areas of corporate and personal insolvency and restructuring, there are very few situations involving UK based distressed or insolvent businesses which David has not dealt with on behalf of all types of stakeholder (e.g. Insolvency Practitioners, directors, shareholders, lenders and creditors). David has a particularly strong national reputation for defendant director disqualification work, which is complemented by an excellent regional reputation in advising distressed businesses and acting for lenders and insolvency practitioners on corporate restructuring and formal insolvency assignments.
David is a licensed insolvency practitioner and long standing member of R3 (Association of Business Recovery Professionals). Whilst he is highly regarded for his technical expertise and his innovative, pragmatic and commercial approach, clients particularly value David's professionalism and integrity and dedication to achieving the best possible outcome for his clients.
- Restructuring and insolvency advice to businesses
- Refinancing advice to lenders and borrowers
- Advising directors of distressed or insolvent companies on their legal duties and responsibilities
- Advising Insolvency Practitioners on all aspects of corporate insolvency law
- Acting for directors in director disqualification proceedings or facing investigation
- 1985 Qualified as a Solicitor with Dibb Lupton & Co, Leeds
- 1992 Became a Partner at Dibb Lupton Broomhead & Prior, Leeds
- 2001 Joined Gordons as a Partner and Head of Business Recovery & Insolvency
- 2006 Joined Lupton Fawcett LLP as a Director and Member
- 2007 Appointed Head of Business Recovery & Insolvency
- 2010 Elected to the firm's Progression Committee
What Others Say
Practice head David Smyllie is "highly skilled." - The Legal 500 UK 2013
David Smyllie...is recognised for director disqualification work, where he has worked on some high-profile matters. Interviewees have described him as a "great solicitor" who offers robust, practical advice to clients. - Chambers & Partners UK 2014
David has "vast and broad experience." Chambers and Partners UK 2016
- R3 (Association of Business Recovery Professionals)
- Law Society
- Licence Insolvency Practitioner
When not at work
David lives in Leeds and whilst his family is the focus of his life outside work, and the advancing years are starting to take their toll, David enjoys a variety of sporting and leisure pursuits including golf, hill walking, sailing as well as music, theatre, and ballet. However, his passion is ski mountaineering culminating so far in a winter climb of Mt Blanc. David is also a co-opted trustee of the National Day Nurseries Association (NDNA) a national charity and membership association for nurseries.