Agricultural Solicitors & Agricultural Law
Whether you are a farmer, landowner, tenant or landed estate, our specialist team of agricultural solicitors have a wealth of experience that will provide you with expert advice on all aspects of law affecting the rural sector.
Our specialist agricultural and landed estates team recognise the need to run farms and estates as businesses but without losing sight of the fact that many are also homes. As such our team will balance commercial objectives against protecting a way of life and local reputation, through providing practical no-nonsense advice.
We also appreciate that transactions involving agricultural or estate property often have special complications or considerations. However, thanks to our years of experience, we can offer practical advice and expertise on the following:
- Sale and purchases of farms, agricultural land and rural businesses.
- Agricultural Holdings Act 1986 tenancies and farm business tenancies.
- Assured shorthold tenancies, residential tenancies and business tenancies.
- Grazing tenancies and licences.Occupation of farm cottages.
- Property disputes e.g. Public or private rights of way, boundaries, trespass, gypsies and travellers.
- Common land and village greens.Registration of the land.
- Sporting and fishing rights.
- Development of land, including conditional contracts, options, overage and promotion agreements.
- Agri-environmental schemes.
- Renewable energy projects including wind, UV and solar panels, anaerobic digestion, batter storage and hydro.
- Mines and minerals.
- Succession planning, inheritance tax (“IHT”) and capital gains tax (“CGT”).
- Problem tenants and recovery of rent.
- Employment and data protection issues.
- Wills and trusts.
The advantage of offering agriculture and estate property services within a commercial firm is that we can also help you exploit the estate’s commercial potential as the pressure to diversify continues, for example, with merchandising and licensing.
Furthermore, we can offer advice on income-generating projects, such as setting up wind/solar farms and caravan parks, or developing an e-commerce offering.
Thanks to a strong track record, we are currently rated as one of the top Agriculture and Estate teams in Yorkshire and the Humber:
The Legal 500:
“Lupton Fawcwtt provides advice to landed estates and agricultural clients on matters including land use, disputes and employment matters.”
Chambers & Partners:
“The team provides continuity. They understand the business and I have real confidence in the people they have”
“The team represents clients in contentious property and agricultural cases such as landlord and tenant disputes, rights of way and infringement of property. Sources praise the team for provding “extremely good judgement and pragmatic advice.”
We have a team of solicitors in specialising in the rural sector therefore you can be sure that you will be in trusted and experienced hands.
Our experienced lawyers can help guide you through an area of law which can frequently lead to tension and disputes.
Private rights of way
We are experienced in dealing with both claims to register a right of way over land and when private rights of way are obstructed.
Where a substantial interference with a right of way has occurred it may be necessary to take immediate action to prevent this which may involve making an urgent application to the court for an injunction to remove and prevent any obstruction.
We can provide you with sensible commercial advice and take the necessary steps to protect you and your land.
Public rights of way
We have expertise in this complex area of law and acting for private landowners faced with application to add public rights of way, including footpaths, bridleways and other routes to the Definitive Map and providing representation at public inquiries.
Our specialist debt recovery team are experienced in handling tenants with rent arrears and are able to provide landlords with practical and commercial advice on the best method of recovering outstanding rent.
We understand that no two debts are the same, and prefer a one-to-one approach that reflects your individual needs and keeps costs to a minimum.
We can also advise you on all aspects of tenant default including:
- Breaches of tenancy agreements;
- Damage to property and disrepair;
- Anti social behaviour;
- Recovering possession
We can assist landowners in relation to a range of different types of property related disputes.
- Rent and service charge recovery
- Forfeiture and possession proceedings
- Landlord and tenant insolvency
- Assignment and sub-letting disputes
- Breaches of lease covenants
- Contested commercial lease renewals
- Dilapidation and repair matters
- Enforcement and infringement of easements (including private rights of way)
- Public rights of way and applications to amend the Definitive Map
- Injunctions and emergency court actions
- Party wall and boundary disputes
- Professional negligence
- Flooding and Environment Agency disputes
Agriculture and Landed Estates Updates
Should you wish a copy of our brochure, please click here.
Talk to us
Contact our agricultural solicitors today for extensive legal advice backed by years of experience. Call our offices across Yorkshire, in Leeds, York and Sheffield, to speak to an expert today. Or get in touch using the enquiry form on this page.