Charity Law Solicitors
Our specialist Charities and Social Enterprise Group comprises specialist charity and not-for-profit solicitors who can provide support on technical charity law and governance issues and other solicitors from across the firm with specialisms in other areas of law who work regularly with and understand the particular needs of charities. So no matter what legal issues your charity faces we are likely to be able to provide specialist support “under one roof”. We take the time to understand the aims and mission of each charity we work with so that we can provide our clients with a personalised and integrated service which delivers on value for money. Our aim is to become part of your team.
Our dedicated Charities and Social Enterprise Team is expert in providing advice on technical charity law issues, dealing with the Charity Commission and providing advice on constitutional and governance matters. Although charity law is notoriously complex, our approach is to provide pragmatic advice which focuses on the solution rather than the problem. Our solicitors are accessible and approachable and we are recognised by our clients for providing a responsive service and value for money.
As specialist charity lawyers we support charities on a range of issues, whether this be registering a new charity, reviewing your governing document, changing your legal structure, advising on fundraising and trading activities or obtaining consents from the Charity Commission. Below are examples of some of the advice we can provide:
- Establishing and registering new charities;
- Dealing with the Charity Commission and other regulators;
- Changing your legal form (for example incorporating unincorporated charities as a CIO, company limited by guarantee or appointment of corporate trustees);
- Constitutional reviews and amending your governing document;
- Changing your charitable objects and advising on public benefit;
- Mergers, collaborations and restructuring;
- Purchase sale and mortgaging of charity land;
- Complex trust issues;
- Restrictive funds and permanent endowments;
- Trading and establishment of subsidiary companies;
- Donations and legacies; and
- Trustee training.
With dedicated Charities and Ecclesiastical Teams, Lupton Fawcett has particular expertise in advising faith based organisations on charity law issues. This experience means that we are not only conscious of the legal framework that faith based charities work within, but also that our advice needs to be in accordance with your mission, ethos and religious rules.
We recognise that obtaining charitable status is not suitable for all not-for-profit organisations. If you have an idea which will benefit the community we can advise if obtaining charitable status is right for you or whether another legal vehicle would be more suitable. We advise on the establishment of:
- Community Interest Companies;
- Non-Charitable Companies Limited by Guarantee;
- CASCS (Community Amateur Sports Clubs);
- Community Benefit Societies;
We advise a wide spectrum of not-for-profit organisations on various legal issues, for example:
- Constitutional reviews and changing your governing document;
- Mergers, collaborations and re-structures;
- Bidding for Assets of Community Value;
- Establishing not-for-profit subsidiary companies;
- Tax and Trading; and
- Obtaining charitable status and converting to CIOs.
A Specialist Charity Property Team
We stand out from our competitors in having a dedicated Charities, Ecclesiastical and Education Property Team. As well as providing tailored advice to charity clients on the purchase, sale and mortgaging of land, the Team has a high level of expertise in dealing with the difficult property matters charities often face including complex trust issues, permanent endowments and dealing with land designated with a particular charitable purpose.
Wider Legal Support for Charities
Our Charities and Social Enterprise Group comprises specialist lawyers from across the firm who have developed a particular expertise in dealing with charities, social enterprises and not-for-profit organisations. As a full service law firm we can provide a wide range of legal support in an integrated manner “under one roof”.
Examples of the types of advice we can provide is listed below:
- Data protection
- Freedom of information requests
- Commercial and residential property
- Employment and Human Resources
- Commercial contracts
- Intellectual property
- Disputes Resolution
- Debt recovery
- Regulatory and Corporate Defence
- Agriculture and landed estates and
- Banking and finance
Talk to us
Lupton Fawcett are a leading personal and commercial law firm in Yorkshire with well-established offices of highly experienced solicitors in Leeds, Sheffield and York.
We have spent over one hundred years using our legal skills to help you through difficult, complicated or emotional times. Within every area of law, we put your interests first.
We provide a personalised service, with sector specialists and extensive resources to ensure we are giving you the best solutions to your problems.
Our Lawyers for Charities and Social Enterprise act regularly for clients across the United Kingdom including Bradford, Birmingham, Hull, Liverpool, London, Manchester and Nottingham.
As recognised experts in Charity and Social Enterprise Law we can support your needs wherever you live in England or Wales.
Call today or complete the enquiry form and we will get back in touch with you quickly. We will always respond promptly, and we will be happy to help.