Variation to premises licence

Variation to premises licence

If you wish to change any aspect of your licence or club certificate once it has been granted, then you will need to apply to your local authority for either a full or minor variation.

Variations to licence

Make changing any aspect of your licence or club certificate a pain-free process with assistance from our team of variation to premises licence solicitors.

Knowing which one to apply for can be difficult, and applying for the wrong one will lead to your application being rejected, costing you more time and additional fees. Our experienced licensing solicitors can identify which route you need to take from the start, saving you time and money.

For more information on our fees, please click here.

What is a variation to premises licence?

A premises licence covers all licensable activities carried out at your venue. Licensable activities include:

  • selling alcohol;
  • serving hot food and drink between 11pm and 5am; and
  • providing public entertainment.
  • From time-to-time, changes on your circumstances may require a change in your license. In these cases, a variation to premises licence must be applied for.

    Premises variation licences fall under two categories: minor variations and major variations.

    Minor variations include changes which do not affect the licensing objectives of the premises, such as a change of Designated Premises Supervisor or minor changes to the layout our structure of the premises.

    Major variations are changes which promise to have a greater impact on the licence, such as changing the hours alcohol is served or making major changes to the licensed areas of the premises.

    How to apply for a variation to premises licence

    The process of applying for a variation to premises licence begins by filling out a lengthy form which is sent to your local authority. Within this form you will be expected to include:

    • an explanation of the variation;
    • a detailed plan of any proposed layout changes; and
    • details of any further steps you’ll take to promote the four licensing objectives.
    • When submitting your application, you will be charged a fee based on the rateable value of the premises. Should your initial application be rejected, you will be required to pay this fee again upon your resubmission, making knowing which licence to apply for and filling in the forms correctly of paramount importance.

      Contact us

      We have experienced alcohol licensing lawyers ready to answer your enquiries via the enquiry form on this page or by calling 0113 2802125

      We will always respond promptly, and we will be happy to help.

      How we can help

      Our specialist Variation of Premises Licence Lawyers act regularly for clients in Bradford, Birmingham, Hull, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Sheffield, York and Nottingham.

      We can support your needs wherever you live in England and Wales.

      We will always respond promptly, and we will be happy to help.

      Your key contacts


      Every insight